Mini TT & Lipo Seroma. Can I Get it Aspirated By Any Doctor?

Hello, I had a Mini TT & a lipo a few weeks ago. I love the results but I think I have developed a Seroma. The surgery was performed outside of the country and I wanted to know if I had to get the Seroma aspirated can I go to any doctor? It just seemed to develop over the last two days.

Plastic Surgeon Best Suited to treat Seroma

+1
Although any surgeon can take care of a seroma including aspiration, you would be in the best hands by consulting a board certified plastic surgeon.
You are lucky that this was your only problem as when you leave the country of your surgery, your surgeon who is the best person to follow you is not available. This is one of the scary thinks about medical tourism.

Who Should Treat My Seroma?

+1

The diagnosis and treatment of abdominal seroma after a tummy tuck is best done by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Unfortunately, we all had the experience of getting these seromas from time to time, and we are the world's experts at dealing with them.  Some seromas require one aspiration, some multiple aspirations, some requiring an indwelling catherer or injection of an irritant to help close off the walls of a seroma cavity.  Seromas are a rich cultural media and easily infected if not handled correctly.  All in all, the treatment of seromas is not as easy as it might appear.  I highly recommend you go to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area and get it treated correctly.

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

+1

There is no reason why any physician couldn't aspirate a seroma. Most who do not do this regularly will understandably not want to do this. Plastic surgeons deal with seromas quite frequently.

Many patients who go out of the country for surgery don't consider in advance the possibility of complications, and the difficulty of finding someone who will be willing to care for those problems. 

Seroma Aspiration by Any Doctor?

+1

You will be best off seeking consultation with a  reputable board-certified plastic surgeon in your area.  It is likely that you will find that most  non-plastic surgeons will not feel comfortable treating the seroma;  most plastic surgeons  deal with these fluid  collections on a routine basis.

Follow up Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

I would recommend seeing a local board certified plastic surgeon to have the area examined. Plastic surgeons have experience in treating complications like this as it isn't uncommon after a tummy tuck and liposuction.

Leo Lapuerta, MD