29 Year Old Male: Mini vs Standard Tummy Tuck?

What do you think? Three times in my life (I'm 29, male) I lost and gained weight, every time for more than 30 kg. The result; look at the pictures. Do I need a mini or a standard tummy tuck? Ps. From 2 years I'm going to the fitness. Thanks

29 year old male: mini vs standard tummy tuck?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question and photos! I hope that these answers help! Tummy tuck is an excellent method for shaping the belly and create a flatter and sculpted abdomen after the procedure. Looking at your photos, I do believe that you would be an excellent candidate for this procedure in order to remove the excess skin/soft tissue of your lower abdomen and contour the areas of your belly. Also, abdominal wall tightening may optimize your result. Stretch marks to the level of your umbilicus will also be excised. Also, a continued healthy and active lifestyle prior to the procedure and afterwards is recommended in order to maintain the benefits that the procedure has given to you.

Once you are ready for the procedure, I would likely recommend a full tummy tuck with abdominal wall tightening. This would remove the excess skin/soft tissue  while contouring your belly. The mini tummy tuck has limited usefulness and limited candidates as it truly only addresses excess skin in a small area above your pubis. It will not address your abdominal wall and the tightening of such, frequently needed to achieve a shapely abdominal wall. While the recovery time is shorter, the benefits afforded to you by a full tummy tuck are much greater and will optimize your result. You should consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon well-versed in body contouring procedures at anytime to go over options to assist you in deciding which procedure(s) would be right for you. Best wishes!

Full tummy tuck candidate

+1

Consider removal of skin to tighten area. If you have lower belly looseness then you could get a tummy tuck where just the lower section fascia is tightened. If fascia is not loose then lipo. In weight loss patients the answer is usually a tummy tuck. But n exam is needed. Good luck!

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Standard vs mini tummy tuck for a man

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss!  It's difficult to completely assess your abdomen based on that photo.  If your only concern is loose skin below your belly button, then you may be a candidate for a mini tummy tuck. However, most people who lose a significant amount of weight will need a full tummy tuck if they want to achieve the flattest, tightest abdomen possible.

I hope that helps and wish you all the best!

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck Surgery

+1

In my opinion, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.
For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.
It is important to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve your chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

Mini or full tummy tuck

+1

Without an exam it is difficult to tell what would be best for you. You  may just need a mini tummy tuck to remove excess skin from below or a full if there is alot of laxity above the umbilicus.

Re: Mini tummy tuck vs full tummy tuck (abdominoplasty)

+1

The choice of either a mini tummy tuck or full depends on what you are ultimately trying to achieve through surgery and whether the laxity is both above and below the umbilicus or concentrated within the area below the umbilicus. With a modified abdominoplasty you can still take out a significant amount of skin as long as you maintain an umbilicus to pubis distance of roughly 12.0cm – 13.0cm, so keep that in mind when making your final decision. 

If you are satisfied with the quality of the skin tightness in your upper abdomen, then a modified abdominoplasty - which would free up some of the tissue above the umbilicus but keep the umbilical stalk in place - would be adequate. If on the other hand there is significant laxity above the umbilicus, then you would require a full tummy tuck to achieve a totally flat appearance. 

William F. DeLuca Jr, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

a Mini or a Standard Tummy Tuck

+1

Thanks for the photo. I recommend a extended mini tummy tuck as another option. As you see from the previous expert posters not consensus exists. Best of luck. 

Tummy Tuck is an Excellent option after large weight loss

+1

Hi there-

Because of the large amount of weight you have lost, and the significant amount of skin in excess, and just as importantly, because of the poor quality of the remaining skin, you would be best served with an abdominoplasty (full tummy tuck).

Good luck!

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Mini or full?

+1

Basically if you have extra skin above your belly button combined with laxity of the abdominal wall a full abdominoplasty would tend to give you a better result with the downside of an umbilical scar.  A mini abdominoplasty is best for removing a limited amount of skin below the belly button and some lower abdominal tightening but due to the fact that the belly button is not released, the amount of skin removed is limited.  Clearly this would be best assessed on physical exam but looking at your picture it looks like you have enough extra skin to warrant a full abdominoplasty procedure.

Leslie D. Kerluke, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Mini versus full tummy tuck

+1

It appears as though you may just need a mini tummy tuck to remove the excess skin your are holding in the photo.  However, it's hard to tell you exactly how long the incision will be without actually examining you.  Make sure you get a good understanding as to the difference between the two operations.  A full tummy tuck will remove much more skin if you have enough, but with a much longer scar.  A mini tummy tuck won't remove as much skin, but the scar is much shorter.  Either way, good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS