I'm considering a mini or lite face lift and was wondering how long do they typically last?

No one can predict how long a facelift will last, but a standard or deep-plane facelift will last longer than a mini-lift

+2
The exact definition for a mini-facelift varies from surgeon to surgeon. For most doctors, it's limited lifting the skin and using a few stitches to pull back the muscle called the SMAS. Even a more aggressive SMAS lift that was the standard 15 years ago has been proven by medical studies not to last as long as a deep-plane facelift.
What happens is patients don't often want to admit or believe that they need more aggressive surgery, or that what they have can't be fixed by a smaller procedure. Of course, for a younger patient (40's to early 50's) a mini-lift is all that they often need.
Basically, the more aggressive the facelift surgery the longer it will last.

How long do facelifts last?

+2
With respect to how long a facelift surgery result lasts, there is no objective answer or end point. Some patients would return at the first sign of any laxity and others wait until they are really hanging. However, if done well, a  person should look better for the rest of their life compared to if they hadn't had the operation. The term "mini" facelift is dubious becasue there is no standardization for these terms but one might guess that it implies that less dissection is done and less tissue is mobilized. I would postulate that a 'Mini" lift would not hold up as long as a more thorough lift. More importantly than how long the results last would be the question of how nice the results look initially, and then how well the age...do they look natural as the years pass? 
The type of lift and extent of dissection will all be decisions made by your surgeon and they will have your best interest in mind.

Andrew S. Frankel, MD

Minilift longevity questions

+2
This depends entirely upon the severity and amount of facial aging that you have. A minilift can be appropriate for someone with very early aging along the jawline and a nice neckline. In many cases, the patients who seek a second opinion for a facelift that didn't last are those with moderate/ severe facial aging that seek a mini solution. This usually results in scarring and no improvement/ results that just don't last. During an in person consultation you can discuss your concerns and a facelift expert can make recommendations for what procedure is most likely to create the improvement you seek. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

I'm considering a mini or lite face lift

+1
Dear deb, thank you for your question. A mini facelift can improve the jawline and neck , and in some cases the cheeks. Our La Jolla Lift procedure is performed with gentle twilight sedation. Consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon to see what your best option is. Good Luck!

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

How long does a mini lift last?

+1
Having a mini facelift helps turn back the clock. You will continue to age in terms of skin changes and laxity of the connective tissue. And having a mini facelift does not preclude you for having additional procedures when it is time.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Considering a Mini-lift

+1
From my anecdotal experience, if you ask 100 prospective facial rejuvenation patients if they would prefer to have a mini-lift or a facelift, at least 90% would prefer a mini-lift.  If you then show the same 100 individuals a series of 1 year results of Facelifts and Mini-lifts (performed by a skilled Surgeon), 100% would prefer the Facelift results. 
Although terminology will vary based on who you see, the major difference between a mini-lift and a Facelift are twofold: 1) the length of the incisions (shorter in a mini-lift), 2) the result in the neck, which is far superior with a facelift. The more important question to ask in this situation is: which procedure is more suitable for you?  A well performed mini-lift in patients with the right indications (early 50's, early jowling) can last 7 plus years.  A mini-lift performed on a patient with indications for a facelift (mid to late 60's, moderate jowls and obliquity in the neck) will probably be happy for a year or less.  Although the public naturally gravitates toward the concept of a "less invasive" procedure, the truth is that a mini-lift is still surgery, has less procedural "power" than a Facelift, and can profoundly disappoint when used in the wrong patient. The concept that "shorter scars are better for a patient" lacks logic and statistical data.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mini lift

+1
The results of the surgery are related to the condition of the skin, and age of the patient.  The better the condition of the skin the longer the results particularly the sun damage 

Alejandro J. Quiroz, MD, FACS
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Advanced Mini Face/Neck Lifts should last 10 yrs in most cases.

+1
Most face/neck lifts last 5-15 yrs and are easy to undergo especially if they are done by tum. local (not general ) anesthesia. There are much less complications, bruising and swelling when done under local. Hiding the incisions and repositioning the SMAS etc... and using very fine suturing skills can really give great results and look very natural. Cost is roughly $8800 on special. Sincerely, David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Longevity of face lift

+1
The longevity of the face lift depends on multiple factors including the type of the face lift technique performed (e.g. mini lift, SMAS facelift, etc), age of the patient the type of the surgery, patient’s tissue qualities, etc. Patients interested in undergoing facelift surgery should as this question to their board certified plastic surgeon specialized in facelifts during the consultation. In our practice, the facelift performed with the malar fat pat elevation technique may last up to 15 years as presented at the 2013 World Congress the International Confederation for Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery in Chile.

John Mesa, MD
New Jersey Plastic Surgeon

+1
A mini-lift is still a real facelift (in most offices).  I would speak with the surgeon and ask that question.  What I tell patients is...the lift is permanent.  We back you up several years, but the aging process continues.  You will feel more youthful and refreshed after a mini-lift!