Mini Liposuction Procedure

on the today show they talked to a doctor about mini liposuction. what surgeons offer this technique? is it something that requires laser technology like smart liposuction? the more info the better about this!

Answer regarding Mini-Liposuction from the Surgeon Interviewed on the Today Show.

+3

I was the surgeon who was interviewed on the Today show regarding mini-liposuction on Monday, June 13th, 2011. My goal was to clear up confusion surrounding liposuction surgery and to clarify the misperception that liposuction may only be suited to someone who is overweight.  Like I mentioned, weight loss and being in good muscular tone is the patient’s responsibility, mine is to target disproportion. The reason a thin, fit patient may be an ideal candidate such as the patient highlighted on the Today show, is because they have done everything they can do. Any incremental improvement targeting disproportionate areas will come from the surgeon.  In the overweight, out of proportion patient, it is commonly a combination of their role to lose the weight and the surgeon’s role to correct the disproportion. In the overweight, proportionate patient, the surgeon actually has no role. The proportionate, overweight patient should simply lose weight and get in shape.

I also discussed my feelings regarding the recent study published in Obesity, mentioned in the NY Times, implying that liposuction may cause fat to go to other areas. If the surgeon is careful to only approach liposuction as a re-proportioning procedure and has good judgment, artistic sense and technical skills, a disproportionate patient will be made proportionate by liposuction. I have extensively discussed my feelings and experience with thousands of patients regarding re-proportioning in the article on my website entitled “Fat Redistribution After Liposuction? No Big Surprise. “

For further information regarding mini-liposuction, which is shorter version of liposuction targeting one or two areas, you can visit my website expertliposuction.

David M. Amron, M.D.                                                                                                                                                             

Beverly Hills, CA

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Mini liposuction is pure tumescent liposuction

+1

Liposuction is designed to reduce the bulge that a healthy person who exercises and eats a good diet can't seem to lose. It is a focal bulge that is responsive to reduction with liposuction. The tumescent liposuction anesthetic is the safest technique to do liposuction. It is not an alternative for weight loss in an unhealthy patient.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Liposuction - What's a "Mini" Liposuction

+1

One person's Mini is another one's Maxi.

Actually, of course, you have to be careful when using terms such as Mini, and, really, any other term.  What matters is not what you call something, what matters is what is done.  And there are many different ways (for most procedures) to accomplish any given goal.  Fat removal, for example, can be performed quite effectively using at least half a dozen different techniques, alone or in combination.  While it is understandable that one could be taken in by terminology you really have to, in all fairness (mostly to yourself!) analyze it more precisely than that.

And even with regards to a specific technology, there are no guarantees.  Advantages and disadvantages - to be sure.  But it's probably more important to have this procedure (or any other) performed by a surgeon you're comfortable with than to sign up for any specific technique or, certainly, a "named" procedure.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Mini liposuction

+1

mini liposuction is based on the pt not the technique, Dr. Amron was perfectly clear on this point. kudos to him.  my only comnplaint is that this is the only type of lipo that should be done, it's not for weight loss. good luck

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Mini lipo, smart lipo, laser lipo, lipo desolve etc etc are tools not hands

+1

The trick is in finding the right hands, not the right tools. All methods of lipo work to a certain degree. Most board certified plastic surgeons offer these modalities but prefer regular thin canula liposuction with a super wet solution. If you investigate this you may find that the surgeon who is offering this modality is not qualified to perform lipo suction at the hospital or university institution near you. You may want to avoid him or her even if they have a great marketing strategy. Trust your body to a woman or man who is a member of the american society of plastic surgeon, because they have been vetted. Let someone else do the research...it's confusing. I'm not saying you should never go to any other surgeon, just do your homework.

Ayman Hakki, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Can I have a Mini Liposuction?

+1

The "mini liposuction" performed in the today show this week was termed "mini" because it involved a minimal amount of fat removal with a small cannula with the traditional tumescent technique. Another term used for this type of liposuction is "high definition". In essence, it is offered to a patient that is in overall good shape and requires a minimal amount of fat removal in one or two areas. This procedure can be performed with local anesthesia, although I prefer to provide my patients with sedation to improve comfort during the procedure. 

Frank Agullo, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Today Show's Mini Liposuction

+1

For the mini liposuction performed on the Today Show this week, the mini had more to do with the patient than the liposuction. The patient is 5ft 8in, size 2 and weighs just 116lb. Her problem areas on her thighs were small and localized. The liposuction performed involved tumescent fluid, small incisions and small canulas. The technique is tumescent  liposuction (more properly a super-wet technique). It is still the most reliable and effective method of fat removal available. No smoke, mirrors or extraordinary methods.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Mini liposuction, is it truth or fiction?

+1

Mini lipo, cool lipo, smart lipo, etc. are marketing terms to make people believe that this is a procedure and not even surgery.  It is true that there are improvements in the surgery and instrumentation and this is a dynamic process. My definition of a "mini liposuction" is for a person who is at his/her ideal body weight, has small areas of stubborn fat resistant to diet and exercise, can be liposuctioned with a small cannula under local tumescent technique under an hour. In my practice I use the Tickle lipo (another marketing term) which allows me to do liposuction strictly under local anesthesia due to the cannula's back and forth movement (similar to the power assist lipo), but also causes the cannula to rotate. This causes minimal to no pain, matter of fact it tickles. In a little over an hour, my patients get up ,get dressed and walk out the office. There's minimal to no bruising with minimal discomfort post operatively requiring only Tylenol. We are the first practice to offer this revolutionary technique to our patients in the Northwest.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Mini liposuction and other marketing terms

+1

'Mini Liposuction' is a marketing term for what we all do in practice - liposuction using small incisions. Whether a laser or other heat source is used is really not that important. In our practice, we use 'mini' cannula power assisted liposuction and Smart Lipo (laser liposuction). Scars are tiny and recovery is quick !

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS