Mini Lifts for African American Women with Darker Skin Tones, Chances of Keloid Scar?

Hello...for the chin and skin lift, I noticed most doctors mention small incisions. How many small incisions are you speaking of and have either of you performed these procedures on African American women or men. My concern of course is the after effects of keloiding. Point being, I had to have neck surgery due to a car accident and I now have a long keloid scar on the front of my neck. Yes it is slowing blending into my skin but the accident was in 2007 and this is 2013! What say ye doctors?

+1

A neck lift can be performed through a 4 cm submental incision which is well hidden and will be visible only in a very exuberant keloid scar. In addition, there are numerous therapies to reduce formation or recurrence of keloid scars.

Find a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of facial procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results. Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

African- Amercan Women and Scars

+1

With proper follow up and scar management, you should do just fine.  Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your concerns and expectations.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Facelift in the African-American woman

+1

is a very good and important question, thank you for your inquiry.

The face typically heals much better than the front of the neck and certainly much better than other areas of the body. That being said concerns over visible incisions or hypertrophic scarring in any person of color is always there. In fact, the less frequent, even a Caucasian person can suffer from visible scars. I find that in African-American and Asian women the volume and bone structure of the face is such that traditional facelifts or mini facelifts our little bit underwhelming or not that impressive with the results. In select patients I prefer to use subdermal laser assisted liposuction technology to tighten the jawline and neck using three small holes less than 3 mm in size. One behind each ear and one under the chin.  This limits any issues with incision not healing well and also limits the patient's overall risk and downtime.

all that being said some African-American women have skin types, facial fat content, in bone structure that make them great candidates for an incision technique facelift. You should simply get several consults before moving forward with any procedures. I'll attach more information about a less invasive way for you to enhance your jawline and neck.

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Midfacelift for African American Women

+1

The neck heals up very differently than the face.  As a result, a midfacelift or other type of incision can pretty much be successfully performed in someone of African ethnicity without much risk of keloid scarring.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction vs. Neck Lift

+1

Would really need an examinaiton to see if you are a candidate for either liposuction of the neck or a submental incison with platysmal band plication and wide undermining of the skin. 

Mini-lift and scarring in African-Amercans

+1

If indeed you truly do have a "keloid scar" from your last neck surgery, you are at higher risk than the average patient of developing another keloid scar elsewhere from surgery.  I would recommend scheduling a consult with a board certified plastic surgeon so that s/he can evaluate you existing scar and what type of chin/neck tuck surgery you may most benefit from.  From there a final determination can be made based on the potential risks and benefits.  Glad to help... 

Ryan Stanton, MD