Should I get a mini lift and/or a neck lift? (photo)

Hi, I am 45 with very loose jowls and neckline. Would I need a neck lift or mini lift to get rid of excess skin? Also have loose hanging skin on eyelids, would I be best to get this sorted in same operation? Thanks, Hazel

Facelift or necklift

+2
You would benefit from a facelift operation  whether it is called a mini lift, a neck lift, or any other catchy name. A well done facelift would correct the sagging cheeks, jowls and neck. You also could have eyelid surgery done in the same session.  

Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Should I get a mini lift and/or a neck lift?

+2
A mini-lift would be adequate to tighten your jawline but would be unlikely to give you the improvement you are likely looking for in your neck. A face and necklift with platysmaplasty is typically the best option. Don't let the jargon and terminology become confusing. An experienced plastic surgeon should be able to tell you what will work best for you regardless of the terminology. The bottom line is that a mini-lift, by itself, will really only rejuvenate the jawline leading to disappointment in your neck area. Plus, the downtime from a "real" facelift is not much longer than that of a mini-lift.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Would you benefit from a facelift?

+2
Based on your photos, you would benefit from a face/neck lift. You have excess skin in your neck and around your jowls/cheeks. The approach of the procedure would depend on your surgeons preference. I am not sure if there is a clear definition of exactly what a 'mini' lift is (please refer to prior posts), but you need a procedure that will address both your neck laxity and your jowls sufficiently to give you long lasting results. If your neck is not addressed, I suspect your neck profile will not be adequately lifted. 
Addressing all your concerns in a single procedure setting is ideal as you can recover from all the procedures at the same time, as opposed to undergoing a recovery period of 7-10 days after every procedure. So if your eyelids are also bothering you, is would make sense to have that treated at the same time. I routinely perform multiple procedures on my patients in one sitting (face/neck, eyelids, fat transfer, laser, in any combination) for this reason. Good luck!

Dilip D. Madnani, MD, FACS

Neck Lift or Mini Lift?

+1
An exam is always needed to determine how the specific causes of your undesired neck and lower face appearance.
There are 4 main factors that need to be evaluated to determine which procedure is best for you.

1. the amount of redundant skin, excess fat below the chin, (requires neck or facelift)
2. banding of your neck mid-line neck muscles (platysmal bands) - requires platysmal plication (neck tightening)
3. elasticity of your skin. - requires laser or peels, thermage, ultherapy
4. a weak chin (supports the skin structure) - requires chin augmentation
Each of these components are dealt with in a different manner. For example, excess fat requires direct removal or liposuction (more common), widely spread playtsmal bands are brought together (neck tightening), and excess skin is removed with a lower facelift or neck lift (this can be done with minimal scars). Certain lasers and peels can help with elasticity problems and your photo seems to indicate adequate chin projection
The least invasive would be one of these procedures which corrects the upper neck loose skin extremely well.. My own personal preference and in my hands the one with the least invasive approach is a Lite Lift which is performed in my office under local anesthesia with some oral sedation without the need for IV sedation or general anesthesia.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Should I get a mini lift

+1
Dear hazel, thank you for your question. A mini facelift can improve the jawline and neck , and in some cases the cheeks. Our La Jolla Lift procedure is performed with gentle twilight sedation. Consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon to see what your best option is. Good Luck!

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Should I get a mini lift and or neck lift?

+1
A mini lift is a lower face lift that will improve your jawline and soften some of the jowling. It is often done in combination with a neck lift to improve the contour of the neck. Based on your photographs, you could benefit from both procedures.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid Surgery | Mini Lift at the Same Time

+1

Yes, you would likely enjoy the benefits of a younger appearance with eyelid surgery and a neck lift which can be done at the same time.

To be sure, see two or more board certified and experienced plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Facelift- Mini-Lift vs. traditional approach

+1
Thanks for sharing your question and photos.  Most younger women such as yourself are great candidates for short scar or "mini-lift" type of procedures, but there is a lot of terms used by different groups for the purpose of marketing.  What is important is getting the right operation for your areas of concern.  The decision of what needs to be done with the neck is most important based on your photos. On exam it would be important to determine the degree of loose skin and fat tissue vs. muscle separation.  It would also be helpful to know what your neck looks like on animation and flexing.  Visit with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area that is knowledgable about face and neck lift surgery.  You may require more than a "mini-lift" but this is hard to say for sure without an exam.

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Neck Lift Won't Address Jowls

+1
Good question, Hazel. Jowls are best addressed by a facelift or mini-lift. The mini-lift offers the advantage of moderately less downtime, but with less correction to begin with and less permanence to the correction. Most techniques from a mini-lift will provide a correction that lasts a few years, while a lower facelift will usually last more than 10 years before the patient feels the need to return. In addition, some mini-lifts will have a partial relapse within several months. There is no standard technique for a neck lift (or, for that matter, a mini-lift or lower facelift), but a neck lift will not address the jowls.

It is common to address the eyelids while correcting the neck and/or jowls. It is safe, it does not increase the risk of complications, and it allows for one recovery period instead of separate ones.

It is important to look at before-and-after photo examples from your surgeon to help determine that your aesthetic goals are achievable. Good luck!

Thomas A. Mustoe, MD, FACS

Combination of Mini Lift and Neck Lift can work very well together

+1
Hi Hazel, In looking at your pictures it looks like you would benefit from a combination of a Mini-Lift and a Neck Lift (anterior platysmaplasty). Your jowls are mild and the excess skin and fat under chin is moderate. While all face lift procedures allow improvements to the neck to be made, the amount of laxity under the chin suggests that a direct neck lifting procedure should be done as well. You lower neck looks good so a platysmaplasty focusing on the area just under your chin would work well. You certainly don't need a deep plane face lift or large incisions to accomplish the results that would be satisfying. Good Luck, Dr. J

Kamran Jafri, MD