Age 24, 2 children and weight gain: Mini or Full Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I'm 24 years old and I've had 2 children. I gained a lot of weight with the first and lost it very quickly so I have extra skin on my stomach and I'd like to know if I would benefit more from a full tummy tuck or a mini one.

Tummy Tuck Options

+1

Thank you for you question.    It is difficult to give accurate recommendation without an in office exam.  When I evaluate the abdomen, I assess:
1.  The amount of loose skin

2.  The volume of fatty tissue
3.  The degree of muscle laxity.

I evaluate this in each of 3 areas:
1.  Upper Abdomen

2.  Area around the Belly Button
3.  Lower Abdomen

MINI TUMMY TUCK: If a patient has loose skin, fatty tissue, and muscle laxity limited to the Lower Abdomen, then I recommend the mini tummy tuck.  In order to qualify for this, the patient must have good skin and muscle tone in their upper abdomen and area around the belly button.   I will frequently perform liposuction of these areas with my Mini Tummy Tuck to enhance the overall contour.

FULL TUMMY TUCK:  this is for patients who have loose skin and muscle laxity of the upper abdomen, belly button area, and lower abdomen.   This procedure tightens all 3 areas with a bikini line incision.   I often encorporate liposuction with my full tummy tuck as I feel it offers a superb end result.
EXTENDED TUMMY TUCK:  This works well for patients who have loose skin that extends over the hip bone into the flank area.   I will perform extensive liposuction and skin excision to the hip and flank area combined with full tummy tuck.

BODY LIFT/BELT LIPECTOMY:  this is essentially a 360 degree tummy tuck which involves removal of loose skin and fatty tissue of the lower back and buttocks, in addition to the extended tummy tuck.
I wish you a safe recovery and amazing result!!

Dr. Gill

Mini vs. Full Tummy Tuck?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.
You should be proud of  the appearance of your abdominal wall after 2 pregnancies. Exactly what operation will best meet your goals will depend on physical examination. Online consultants cannot provide you with specific enough advice based on the photographs provided. 
Generally speaking, in my opinion, the mini tummy tuck is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.

A full tummy tuck is likely your best option to get the result that you want.

+1

Thank you for your question and the photos.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck?

+1

While young, there appears to considerable skin laxity above and below the belly button. To address the areas of laxity properly, you will need to have a full abdominoplasty. In person consultation and exam will confirm the appropriate procedure. Consult with 3 -4 surgeons to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

It depends

+1

You are young to undergo tummy tuck, but you have had two children and do show signs of significant skin laxity as well as diastasis recti (separation of the rectus muscles).  If you are not planning on more kids and are prepared for a 4-6 week recovery, you will likely achieve a very nice improvement of your abdominal contour with a tummy tuck.

The decision of "mini" vs full involves determining if your major involvement is below your belly button or also above.  Yours appears mostly below for which a mini would be very effective with a shorter scar, but you may not gain as much upper abdominal improvement with skin and muscle tightening.  A mini also avoids a circular scar inside the belly button which is simply stretched downwards rather than repositioned. The recovery is the same.

You should consult with a plastic surgeon to discuss your options. 

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Mini vs Full Tummy Tuck

+1

Based on your photo alone, it is difficult to make any formal recommendations.  But I will suggest that you will likely benefit the most from a full tummy tuck.   Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area for a formal consultation and to learn more about your options.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

A full TT

+1

assuming you are not going to get pregnant again soon, only a full TT will

allow you to remove enough skin to really give you a good result.

good luck

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Mini or full Tummy tuck

+1

Dear Caddensmommy08,

First I would ask you if you are finished with having children ? 

If you are not sure, I would tell you to postpone any tummy tuck procedures and only consider liposuction of your midsection: better contouring, faster recovery, still the stretch marks, but no scar, and no need for revision in case of a 3 rd pregnancy assuming you will not gain and keep too much weight on.

If you are absolutely sure you are finished with pregnancies, then I think you would need a full tummy tuck.

You will be best served by a consultation so we can give you all details about the procedure, recovery, etc..

best of luck

Florence Mussat

Florence Mussat, MD

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck

+1

From you single photo, I would suggest a full tummy tuck to address your concerns.  The loose and lax skin around and above the belly button cannot be addressed by a mini-tuck alone.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

A full tummy tuck is for you

+1

From your photos only a full TT will give you the best result because more excess lax skin will be reomved and the muscles can be tightened also.  A mini just won't do anything close to as nice for you.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS