I'm 23 yrs old with one kid. Which would you recommend; Mini or Full Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I'm 23 with one kid,& I have a mini tummy tuck scheduled for next month. My doctor said he could remove all my stretch marks with a full tummy tuck, which is what I want. My doctor said I shouldn't get the full if I'm going to have more kids because the skin could rip & I could get really bad stretch marks. I'm not sure if I'm ever going to want more or not. My upper ab skin isn't loose, but one of my main concerns is the stretch marks. Do you think a mini tummy tuck make a big difference on me?

Mini tummy tuck for stretch marks

+2

It's difficult to assess all your issues from the one photo, but a mini tummy tuck in your case would most likely involve some liposuction in combination with excision of the lower abdominal skin without a belly button incision. This would improve lower abdominal contours, but would not result in the reduction in stretch marks that the full tummy tuck would afford by removing all the skin from the belly button down.Also, the overall result would be less dramatic than a full abdominoplasty which includes in most cases a tightening of the abdominal wall.

Regardless of the technique used, having another pregnancy will have a detrimental effect on the skin and abdominal wall with the potential of more stretch marks. Typically , it is better to delay the procedures until you are finished having children

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Full tummy tuck, but hold off for now.

+2

Since you are planning to have more children, you should wait to have the tummy tuck.  You will need additional surgery if you go with the mini.

Mini or full tummy tuck?

+2

Looking at your photo, I would say that a full tummy tuck would be best for you, although obviously it involves more surgery and scarring, so you need to balance this with the benefits.  The only problem with getting pregnant, is that your skin will stretch again and you may need another tummy tuck!

I am not aware of these problems with the skin ripping or the baby being born prematurely following a tummy tuck.  I don't know where these doctors have got this information from, but it is news to me.  Good luck.

Jonathan J. Staiano, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck

+2

Your doctor is right. With your age and only having had one child, it is not recommended to get a full tummy tuck. If you were to get pregnant after a tummy tuck, it can be very harmful to the baby. The abdomen may not stretch to hold the baby and the baby would be born pre-mature. It is best to wait until you are 110% sure that you do not want to have any more children.

A mini tummy tuck may help you but you will only see improvement below the belly button. Sometimes with mini tummy tucks, the navel can looked pulled down.

One thing you could consider and maybe you should talk to your doctor about this, is considering liposuction. Liposuction is great for young people who want to have a better shape. Liposuction can help with your upper and lower abdomen and it won't hinder pregnancy in the future. The only negative outcome with liposuction, is that your skin may not shrink as well as someone who hasn't had children yet. This may leave you with some loose skin. One thing that is in your favor is that you are young and you do have more elasticity in your skin which may give you an acceptable result.

I would suggest talking to your doctor again .

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Mini versus full tummy tuck

+2

There are 2 main differences between a mini and full abdominoplasty.  The mini tummy tuck does nothing to address loose skin or fascial laxity (abdominal protrusion) above the navel.  The full tummy tuck addresses loose skin and fascia both above and below the navel.  Also, a full tummy tuck transposes the navel into skin that is pulled south.  Essentially, the navel is reset into healthy, unstretched skin.  With the mini tummy tuck, lower abdominal skin may be pulled south and the navel is often left attached to the upper abdominal skin.  The mini tummy tuck sounds like a great option.  In fact, most of my patients request this.  However, a full abdominoplasty allows your physician to be much more aggressive at removing fat, skin, and tightening the abdomen.  Thus, a full tummy tuck facilitates dramatic improvement, while a mini tummy tuck may yield moderate improvement in abdominal contour, Good luck!!

Jason R. Hess, MD

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck?

+1

You should wait until you are finished child bearing. A tummy tuck will not rip or change the development of stretch marks because of a pregnancy.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Mini or full tummy tuck?

+1

Be careful-  unless the correct diagnosis and treatment plan is designed  you may be dissatisfied with the end results of your surgery. I doubt  that you will have a significant improvement with the mini- tummy tuck and may be pre mature to undergo a full tummy tuck procedure ( until you know your plans for future childbearing).

In my opinion, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.
For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.
It is important to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve your chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

Full tummy-tuck versus mini

+1

It is hard to determine  from one photo which procedure would be best for you.  However, based on the fact that you aren't sure about future children, I would suggest waiting until you are done having children and then proceed with a full tummy-tuck (abdominoplasty).  This will allow you the maximum improvement with just one procedure.

Theodore Diktaban, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck, Abdominoplasty

+1

In general I prefer the full or standard tummy tuck.  If you are having more kids then perhaps its better to wait until after you have all of your children.  The results after a standard tummy tuck are much better and the upper and lower abdomen are then in harmony. 

Jay H. Ross, MD
Palm Harbor Plastic Surgeon

Mini tummy tuck or full

+1

With children in the future a delay of your tummy tuck plans makes the most sense for now. Mini tummy tuck is an excellent choice for those with modest skin laxity and stretch marks, and a separation of the muscle with loss of abdominal tone. If stretch marks cover you abdomen and laxity extends above the belly button the full tummy tuck is a better option.

peterejohnsonmd