Age 26, 1 child by C-Section: Mini or Full Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I am 26 with a child of 7 by c-section. Hate my stomach and have decided to go for it.. I'm getting the op done! I've been advised that I could get away with the mini but I'm not so sure. I know only few are candidates for this. Would hate to be unhappy with the results and think maybe its best to go with the full tuck. This will be my second opinion.. Thanks guys :)

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck?

+1

You may want to consider a short scar tummy tuck, which will have the same length scar as the minitummy tuck but will remove about twice as much skin as well as allow tightening of the abdominal wall. Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Mini vs. Full Tummy Tuck

+1

Thank you for sharing your photos.   Based on your loose skin and muscle around the belly button and upper abdomen, I recommend a full tummy tuck.   You will obtain a much smoother contour.

Thank you for you question.    It is difficult to give accurate recommendation without an in office exam.  When I evaluate the abdomen, I assess:
1.  The amount of loose skin

2.  The volume of fatty tissue
3.  The degree of muscle laxity.

I evaluate this in each of 3 areas:
1.  Upper Abdomen

2.  Area around the Belly Button
3.  Lower Abdomen

MINI TUMMY TUCK: If a patient has loose skin, fatty tissue, and muscle laxity limited to the Lower Abdomen, then I recommend the mini tummy tuck.  In order to qualify for this, the patient must have good skin and muscle tone in their upper abdomen and area around the belly button.   I will frequently perform liposuction of these areas with my Mini Tummy Tuck to enhance the overall contour.

FULL TUMMY TUCK:  this is for patients who have loose skin and muscle laxity of the upper abdomen, belly button area, and lower abdomen.   This procedure tightens all 3 areas with a bikini line incision.   I often encorporate liposuction with my full tummy tuck as I feel it offers a superb end result.
EXTENDED TUMMY TUCK:  This works well for patients who have loose skin that extends over the hip bone into the flank area.   I will perform extensive liposuction and skin excision to the hip and flank area combined with full tummy tuck.

BODY LIFT/BELT LIPECTOMY:  this is essentially a 360 degree tummy tuck which involves removal of loose skin and fatty tissue of the lower back and buttocks, in addition to the extended tummy tuck.
I wish you a safe recovery and amazing result!!

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Mini vs. full tummy tuck

+1

You are correct, I think you would do best with a full tummy tuck.  Please see a board certified PS to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck?

+1

Based on your history and photographs,  I think you will do better with full tummy tuck surgery.

In my opinion, the mini tummy tuck is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

So Many Tummy Tucks...Which to Choose??? Ask Dr Ellen

+1

Hello MissTee26,

Don't make this your second opinion, go get a face to face 2nd opinion! 

As you can see from the wide range of opinions posted here, there are are many choices and all of them are on target.  The responsibility however, is for you to evaluate all of the compromises that go with each choice and decide what you can live with long term.

Another thing... Is having more kids and option???  You have a long window of opportunity ahead of you.  The last thing you want to do at 26 is have any tummy tuck if you are thinking in that direction.  Give some thought to thinking long term and maybe wait til your sure kids aren't in your future- at that point you will likely be a great candidate for a full tummy tuck, get the result that meets your expectations and have next to no compromises that will muddy your decision making.

Thanks for asking!  Dr Ellen

Ellen A. Mahony, MD
Westport Plastic Surgeon

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck

+1

If you are trying to get as many of the stretch marks off of your abdomen as possible then a full abdominoplasty with a higher incision would be appropriate. If the stretch marks are not as much of a concern, but the roundness of your abdomen is your main concern, then a modified abdominoplasty with a short scar but full tightening of the muscles  would give you a nice flat abdomen with a lower, shorter scar.  Either way, you will see nice improvements in the shape of your abdomen.  Best of Luck   Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO

Abdominoplastys

+1

I would be in favor of a minilipectomy. You may have a significant diastasis of your rectus muscles, above and below your umbilicus. This can only be determined on examination. If so I make a small incision above the belly-button to repair the upper part of the diastasis and still do a miuni lipectomy with liposuction, repair diastasis, and excision of excess skin in the lower abd. where the c-sectyon scar is located.

Terry A. Cromwell, MD (retired)
Lafayette Plastic Surgeon

Full abdominoplasty

+1

The photos you submitted suggest an upper abdominal diastasis. Given this I would recommend a full abdominoplasty for the best result. A consultation with your BCPS would be advised.

David Steckler, MD, FACS
Jackson Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+1

Based on the photos you sent, there seems to be significant abdominal wall laxity above the umbilicus. A full tummy tuck would address that laxity better since a mini will only address the laxity from the umbilicus down. A physical exam is very important for someone like you because the quality of the tissues, muscle tone, etc. all are considered when making that decision. Be sure you tell your surgeon exactly what you want as a result and don't be concerned whether it is a "mini" or "full". Best wishes.

Thomas G. Liszka, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon