Age 35, mom of 3, 5ft6, 135lbs: Mini or Full Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I am a 35 year old mom of 3 (5'6 & 135 pounds) and I have a huge insecurity with my belly. My muscles are there, I can see them but the loose skin covers them up. I have stretch marks that were treated years ago with Fraxel & Thermage, which did help tremendously, however I still do not feel comfortable wearing a bikini in public. I am wanting to schedule a consulation with a PS but would like to get some advise on here first. Thank you in advance!

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck?

+2

Dear Aowens,

Thank you for your post.  You are a perfect candidate for a mini tt.  You can keep the incision extremely low, and tighten the lower abdominal muscles. 

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Mini tummy tuck with umbi float may be an option

+2

When the belly button is high as it appears to be in the photo, and the skin laxity is primarily in the lower abdomen, then a mini tummy tuck can produce good results especially when combined with an "umbilical float." This involves detaching the belly button from underneath and reattaching it about an inch lower. his is not an especially common procedure however so see a plastic surgeon who can examine you and discuss your  specific situation.

Richard Baxter, MD

Modified Mini Tummy Tuck

+2

You appear to have a moderate amount of intra-abdominal fat causing bulging.  You do not appear to have much extra skin. From looking at your photos, I don't think a full abdominoplasty would work as well. Normally with a full abdominoplasty, I like to resect all of the skin from the top of the eschuteon to the top of the umbilicus.  This does not look possible on you. 

I would recommend a modified mimi tummy tuck to resect skin from your lower abdomen and at the same time, tighten your muscles down your entire abdominal wall (from xiphoid to pubis)  This would also leave you with a shorter scar than a full tummy tuck.

William H. Huffaker, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck?

+2

For sure NOT a full TT I even think mini might be too much. You need additional IN PERSON evaluations 

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck?

+2

It is possible that minitummy tuck and liposuction may produce a satisfactory result, but it is very difficult to give a precise answer without an exam or photos.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of minitummy tucks, liposuction procedures, and tummy tucks each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Mini or Full?

+2

It's hard to tell without an exam but based on your photos it looks like you would do well with just a mini. Most of your issues look like they are in your lower abdomen which is where minis, or modified abdominoplasties are best at. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck?

+2

Although most asking this question are not candidates for a mini, you may well be. This is a useful procedure only in the minority of patients whose problem is truly limited to the lower abdomen. You may be in this category, though findings on examination will be essential in making a recommendation. 

All the best. 

Liposuction together with mini tummy tuck works for a few women.

+2

Hi.

Of course you need a good physical examination.  But from you pictures I would say that you are one of the few women for whom a mini tummy tuck may be effective, because your upper belly looks OK.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Need for tummy tuck

+2

Based on your photo, you might be a candidate for a mini tummy tuck vs a full tummy tuck with fascial plication. This would eliminate some of the stretch marks but not all. It's hard to give an accurate opinion without actually examining you. Seek out a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with good reviews and lots of before/after pictures.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Mini tummy tuck seldom indicated.

+1

A mini tummy tuck is seldom indicated but it might work in this particular situation. Depending on the amount of redundant skin above the umbilicus, a full abdominoplasty might give a better result. The personal exam would be critical in making this decision.