Mini Vs. Full Tummy Tuck for Weight Loss Patient?

I am a 35 year old mom with 3 children. I am very self-conscious of the lax skin on my lower abdomen and can not wear a bikini because of the stretch marks and wrinkling around my belly button. I am in the process of losing weight and have noticed that the more weight I lose, the worse my belly looks.

I am 5' 4" and weigh 130 pounds and will lose 10 to 15 more pounds before considering a Tummy Tuck. From the picture, would a Mini Tummy Tuck or full tummy tuck be the best option? Thanks for your help!

Standard tummy tuck vs. mini tummy tuck

+1

Based on the photo you provided, you would benfit significantly from a standard (full) tummy tuck. A standard tummy tuck would involve repair of the rectus muscles, which were stretched from pregnancy, and removal of excess skin and tissue. A mini tummy tuck would only involve work below the belly button area. This would not provide the best result.

Full tummy tuck vs mini tuck

+1

As you have seen from these answers, a mini tummy tuck has no role in your options for abdominal improvement.  You need a full tummy tuck to address your skin laxity issues.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck after weight loss

+1

Hi, I would agree with the other surgeons in recommending a full tummy tuck. This will effectively flatten your entire abdomen.

A mini-tummy tuck will only remove the skin inferior to the belly button, so you would be left with wrinkling above that level. In addition, a full tummy tuck will allow your surgeon to tighten your muscles.

If the scar is placed low enough, you should be able to wear a regular bikini (not a string bikini) without a problem.

Good luck, nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Full Tummy Tuck after weight loss

+1

Now 6 out of 7 surgeons have recommended a FULL TUMMY TUCK. I'm the 6th in agreement for the better resultant full tummy tuck Good Luck.

Full Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty). Hands Down.

+1

In your case ONLY a full abdominoplasty will deliver the cosmetic results you want and deserve. Your potential results would be outstanding.

Do NOT compromise and have a mini tummy tuck - the results will be disappointing.

Dr. P. Aldea

Full tummy tuck best after weight loss

+1

A mini tummy tuck has the advantage of a shorter scar and no scar around the belly button, but it only tightens skin in the lower abdomen.The standard tummy tuck improves the entire abdomen, and so when there is loose skin above the belly button then that is the way to go. From your picture I would predict that you would be disappointed with the mini.

Richard Baxter, MD

Tummy Tuck

+1

I do both and think you would be disappointed with a mini. A full tummy tuck would give you your best result. Your best bet is to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Jack Gelman, MD
Frankfort Plastic Surgeon

Mini tummy tuck vs. full tummy tuck

+1

The majority of your excess and scarred skin is in your mid-abdomen. A standard tummy tuck will remove all this skin and allow reconstruction of the belly button and repair of your muscle girdle.

There are specific problems where a mini-abdominoplasty can give good results, but usually it gives a less than optimal improvement to save a few inches of scar length in an area where it is not going to be visible. It is well worth the tradeoff.

Stanley G. Poulos, MD
Greenbrae Plastic Surgeon

Full tummy tuck.

+1

A mini tummy tuck in you will give you a disappointing, mini result.  Go for a full tummy tuck and be certain that your surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgeons.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Mini vs Full Tummy Tuck

+1

Full tummy tuck is what you need. Given all the loose skin that you have both below and above the belly button a full tummy tuck is what you need. A mini will only address the lower abdominal loose skin and you will be disappointed with the result.

Yes the incision is longer, but if done carefully, the incision can be placed low in the underwear or bikini area. You would have a much nicer result with a full tummy tuck.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD