Mini or Full Tummy Tuck for Male Seeking to Lose More Body Fat?

Currently, I am 86kg (190lbs) with 15% body fat and I am planning to get to 10% regardless of the surgery. Should I wait to reach my body fat goal before having the surgery?

You may need to have a full tummy tuck

+2

The picture show a lot of exess skin in lower abdomen. If you send a lateral picture while bending forward can show the extent of extra skin and will help to advise regarding the surgery. Great job with the weight loss.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Full tummy tuck

+2

That is all you need -- you are thin enough and do not have to lose any more weight. Just get rid of the skin.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Mini or full tummy tuck?

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss.

In my opinion, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.
For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.
It is important to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve your chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

Waiting for Weight Loss Before Tummy Tuck Surgery

+1

This is such a common question and the answer really varies. In some cases surgery can boost the weight loss allowing patients that have stagnated in their weight loss to begin losing weight again.

In other cases I recommend waiting until the weight loss is complete. This is what I would recommend in your case. You may have more skin that will need to be remove once you reach your ideal body fat percentage.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Full tummy tuck

+1

I agree that you do not need to lose any more weight prior to considering the surgery...It will not really change the loose skin at this point. A full abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) is the best way to deal with the loose skin and the entire abdomen.

If your skin is "too tight" to remove the entire ellipse of skin up to the umbilicus (belly button), sometimes it is necessary to leave a small vertical incision - which is no big deal to patients. Overall, even when this is necessary, patients are happy and it gives a nice rejuvenation of the abdomen.

I have found that mini-abdominoplasties (tummy tucks) are really MINI RESULTS. Patients are usually not happy with them for many reasons. It leaves more "dog ears" on the incision, it does not deal with the upper abdomen and can leave a bulge and laxity, and it pulls the belly button downward which can look weird. I also notice that your belly button is already set somewhat low, and therefore a mini tummy tuck (if considered) can pull down the belly button even lower and leave an unnatural appearance.

I hope this helps!

James F. Boynton, MD

Mini tummy tuck vs. full tummy tuck

+1

I would suggest that you get down to your preferred body weight before making that decision. A lot rides on how much laxity you have above the belly button. A full tummy tuck would not help with that upper laxity. Also remember that a "mini" tummy tuck is only a "mini" in name. The incision is just as long.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

The difference between mini and full tummy tuck

+1

A tummy tuck, or abdominoplasty involves the removal of excess skin and the tightening of the muscle fascia of the abdominal wall. A mini tummy tuck addresses skin and muscle only below the belly button.

A full tummy tuck allows the removal of more skin than the mini, which requires a longer incision, and a correction of the muscle layer all the way up to the breast bone.

What I see on your photo is loose skin, but not muscle separation, so you do not need muscle tightening. What is in question is how long the horizontal incision needs to be to remove enough skin to give you a nice result.

That needs to be assessed in person in a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. I also doubt that losing another 10 lbs or changing your lean body weight is going to effect the postoperative result, so you can proceed now.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Before tummy tuck, choose a weight goal that you can maintain

+1

Tummy tuck is most effective when patients are at or near an 'ideal' body weight. By ideal we mean a reasonable set weight that can be maintained throughout life, long term.

It is important to keep the goal as realistic as possible, both for peace of mind and to avoid frustration if things don't work out as planned. You should never be discouraged from reaching your set weight before surgery.

You should however think carefully as to whether you can maintain a 10% body fat over the long haul. This is a lean weight even for a bodybuilder or distance runner. Remember, be realistic in your goals if you hope to reach them.

Best of luck.

Full tummy tuck based on photo

+1

My choice would be a full tummy tuck. This is based only on the frontal view photo submitted for review. I think mini will be to little.

Regards from Miami