Do I Need a Mini or a Full Tummy Tuck?

Hi there, Could someone please give me some advice on weather I would need a full or a mini tummy tuck?..I do have fat on my belly so I know I would need lipo aswell.. Many thanks x

Mini vs full tummy tuck

+2

Looking very carefully at your photos it appears that you have loose skin with stretch marks, extra fat and a diastasis or widening of the abdominal muscles.  A mini tummy tuck will not address all of these problems and were you to undergo a mini tummy tuck I believe that you would not be happy with the result.  I would definitely suggest a full tummy tuck.

Tummy tuck versus mini tummy tuck

+2

In my hands liposuction and the skin excision, mini tummy tuck, maybe the best surgery for you. It's difficult to tell from photograph without examining whether or not  this should be true. The real determination to decide between the two procedures would be based on your, wall musculature and fascia. If the abdominal wall is tight then the liposuction and short scar decision would work well if the muscles abdominal wall is weak then the tummy tuck with the muscle tightening would be needed.

You can look at my profile our website under the liposuction and the Brazilian butt lift section to look at how the liposuction can flatten the appearance of the abdomen. But again the real decision for you is based on the strength of the abdominal wall.

Muscle plication very helpful, but only with a full tummy tuck

+2

Muscle laxity occurs between the edges of the rectus abdominis sit up muscles from pregnancies.  Surgical tightening of the inner edges of these two muscle  to tighten the waist line is possible with a full tummy tuck, but not the mini-tuck.  If you are finished with growing your family, consider a full abdominoplasty.

I will echo the need to have an in depth consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon including a physical examination of your abdomen.

Good luck!

Ann Arbor Plastic Surgeon

Full or mini tummy tuck

+2

I believe you will benefit most with a full tummy tuck.  This would allow the abdominal muscles to be completely tightened and removal and the excess skin. Most women after child birth need a full tummy tuck for the best results.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Do I Need a Mini or a Full Tummy Tuck?

+2

Guess I will  continue on the "FULL" choice. Your photos, thanks, clearly demonstrate the need for muscle repair superiorly, above the umbilicius. 

Tummy Tuck FOR SURE!

+2

If you have completed having kids a full TT is the way to go.  You have a very stretched abdominal wall and very loose skin.  A mini TT will short change you and will eliminate the possibility of a full TT in the future.

Web reference: http://www.sanfranciscocosmetic-surgery.com/

Full TT or mini

+2

There are several things to consider with abdominoplasties.  The one most people think of first is the excess skin.  While you don't appear to have a lot above your belly button there is some that will not be corrected with a mini-abdominoplasty.  The other aspect of the TT is the protuberance of your abdomen which is moderate and starts way above your umbilicus.  In my opinion you will get a much better result from a full TT, but as Dr. Whitt mentioned, you will likely end up with a small vertical scar in the lower part of your abdomen.  The hole that results from making an incision around the umbilicus will move downward only as far as the skin above it stretches.  You have two options.  The first is to move the horizontal scar up so that the hole is cut off.  In your case I suspect that it would be pretty high and you would be unhappy.  The other choice is to make the scar low and close the hole vertically.  Personally I think this is preferable especially with today's low cut jeans. 

Liposuctioning of the fat over the area of skin that will be raised in an abdominoplasty is risky as it may interfere with the blood supply to the elevated tissues.  It would be possible to do a little liposuctioning of your upper abdomen with a full TT and more of the upper abdomen with a mini-TT, but the lower abdomen would be left alone.  If you wanted liposuctioning of your hips that could be done with either.  The greatest thickness of the fat layer is usually in the lower abdomen and it will get cut off.  The upper abdomen will be stretched and usually appears a little thinner.  Your plastic surgeon will be able to judge the need for liposuction when he examines you.  Good Luck!

Mini vs full tummy tuck

+2

Based on the photos you provided, you appear to be a good candidate for a full (standard) tummy tuck. A full tummy tuck involves repair of the rectus muscles and removal of the majority of loose and excess skin to provide a tightened abdomen area. Liposuction is usually included in the procedure to help improve body contours. A mini tummy tuck only involves work done to the muscles and skin below the belly button area. Ultimately, it is best to discuss your overall goals with your surgeon to decide what your best and safest option is.
On this site, I do my best to give advice without a physical examination but I want you to know that a physical examination by a board certified physician is always the best way to get the most accurate information.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_tummytuck.htm

Mini versus Full Tummy Tuck

+2

It's always difficult to know for sure what your best option is without an examination, but in general most women who have had kids tend to do better with a full tummy tuck.  The reason is that the rectus muscles widen throughout their length, not just below the belly button, in order to make room for the pregnancy, and I think based on your photo you probably have some of that persisting above your belly button as well as below it.  So during the procedure we would need to tighten the entire length of that muscle and this can best be done with a full tummy tuck.  I think the price (longer incisions) is in most cases worth the result (flatter contour of the abdomen) but the best thing to do is to speak with a qualified plastic surgeon in person, have an examination and let him or her go over your options in detail.

Web reference: http://www.drsalemy.com

Full vs. mini-tummy tuck

+2

First of all I would recommend you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who can examine you and give you the best recommendation.  With that being said, it does look as if you have some muscle laxity above your belly button which would indicate that you would benefit more from a full tummy tuck. With a full abdominoplasty the muscle can be tightened above and below your belly button to help flatten the abdomen.