Mini or Full Tummy Tuck for Best Results?

I don't know if I could deal with a scar across the belly. I would however do a Mini Tummy Tuck, along with a Breast Lift. Do you think I need a Full Tummy Tuck from this picture?

Mini tummy tuck vs. Full tummy tuck vs. Hybrid tummy tuck

+2

A full tummy tuck will leave you with a hip to hip scar. Because of your anatomy, it will be a high scar as well.

A mini tuck will revise your scar nicely but do nothing for the deep layer and diastasis that you appear to have.

My vote would be for an extended Hybrid tummy tuck (R)with liposuction. This involves complete removal of the scar, revision of that area, and complete tightening of the fascia all the way up to the breast bone. The belly button is left alone.

Mini tummy tuck vs full tummy tuck

+1

The best result would be from a full tummy tuck. It allows for maximal resection of skin and abdominal wall tightening. A mini tummy tuck is limited to those patients with a small pooch below the belly button and minimal skin laxity. A mini tummy tuck will not be able to address skin laxity laterally either. In addition, the belly buttton is usually not involved.

Anthony Dardano, DO
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck

+1

By just this one picture you look to be a good candidate for a mini tummy tuck. However, an exam of the skin quality and quantity as well as your abdominal muscles would be needed to determine which is best for you.

Mini tummy tucks work well for those who have loose skin confined mostly in the lower part of the abdomen below the belly button and don't need much tightening of the muscles. The muscles may still be addressed through a modification in the mini tummy tuck.

If there is also loose skin above the belly button, a full tummy tuck would give you the best result. If the muscles are seperated widely, which is common after pregnancy, then these can be easily tightened during a full tummy tuck.

Good luck and always seek out a board-certified plastic surgeon!

Dr. Joseph

Brian Joseph, MD

Mini versus full tummy tuck

+1

You look like a great candidate for a mini tuck. However, this can only be determined for sure with an examination in the office to evaluate your skin and underlying muscle. I'm not sure if you have a C-section scar, but if so the mini tuck incision can usually be placed in the same location. 

Good luck,

/nsn

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Mini tummy tuck versus full

+1

I don't want to frighten you, but most lifts leave you with unsightly scars. There are many things surgeons do to improve a scar's appearance. Today, we suture almost every incision under the skin, leaving no stich marks or "railroad tracks." Working with the patient, a surgeon can also best determine the positioning of most scars.

People who have especially slack skin in their midsection need more than what liposuction alone can offer. Typical candidates for a full tummy tuck are women with drooping abdomens after pregnancy, women and men who've lost a great deal of weight, menopausal women, or older people with loose skin due to age. In the tummy tuck, the skin from the rib cage down to the pelvic area is tightened, and the navel is moved up and secured in a new positon. A mini-tummy tuck is especially effective for people who look pretty good from the navel up. The main difference between the 2 procedures is that the mini-tummy tuck doesn't require moving or reconstructing the navel and the incision is shorter than the one made in a full tummy tuck.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

You may benefit from mini tuck with sliding the belly button if you have too much skin above the belly button. This with the combination of liposuction can give you great result with minimal scar. Please send a picture of the abdomen in a sitting position. 

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Type of Tummy Tuck

+1

The term "mini" in front of tummy tuck doesn't refer to the length of the scar. The mini scar may or may not be shorter than the full tummy tuck.

Because we all must make choices, I would recommend that (given your aversion to scars) you consider panniculectomy, which will flatten and tighten the lower abdomen, and then go with liposuction of the remaining abdomen. I would recommend Lipotherme, or UAL for the skin tightening properties.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Only your plastic surgeon knows what's best between Mini vs. Full Tummy Tuck

+1

Photos are helpful, but in order to make a useful recommendation it is necessary to examine you, see the condition of your skin, and so forth. Having said that, only about 15% of tummy tuck patients I see are good candidates for a mini. My guess is that the skin in your upper abdomen is a little bit loose, and so that wouldn't be helped by a mini with or without lipo there. The lipo won't tighten the skin. Although the scar is longer with the full, it should fade nicely and we don't hear many complaints about it. I have long been a proponent of the progressive tension suture method, which helps keep the scar low and avoids tension on the skin which can lead to wider scars.

Richard Baxter, MD

Mini tummy tuck and liposuction is good combination for you.

+1

Hi.

Mini tummy tuck will get rid of the overhang above your C section scar.  That and a little liposuction is all you need to make your abdomen look good.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Mini Tummy Tuck vs. Full Tummy Tuck

+1

Hi Karenrose!

While few patients actually qualify for mini tummy tuck, you may be a candidate. The skin of your upper abdomen has good elasticity without stretch marks. Your abdominal muscles seem to be in a good position, although a full tummy tuck would tighten these muscles further. You should know, however, that the results with a full tummy tuck would definitely be better with only a slightly larger scar. I suggest you go in for a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon to get a one-on-one opinion. Good luck!

Dr. Singer

Elan B. Singer, MD