Mini or full tummy tuck and future pregnancies?

I am currently looking to have a tummy tuck done. As you can see I have quite a few stretchmarks, (two pregnancies, second was a twin surrogacy for my friend). I do however plan on having another child in 5-6 years, NOT before. In the meantime, I will find it impossible to live with this belly. What do you suggest? (In this picture I am 8 weeks post c-section from the twins) Thanks!

+1

Thank you for the question. Based on your history and description, you will likely be a good candidate for “mommy makeover” surgery at some point.  Best to wait at least 6 months to one year prior to seeking consultation with board certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and communicate your goals clearly as well. Make sure that you are aware that this operation is associated with a very significant physical and emotional recovery period. Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.  For most patients in your situation I also use liposuction surgery as a contouring tool, most often used in the flank areas, mid-epigastric areas and pubic areas. I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Tummy tuck timing after pregnancy

+1

Congratulations on your pregnancies ... you look great for just having twins!  8 weeks after delivery, especially of twins, is very early in the healing process. Your stretch marks are still red, which is a sign of early healing. Your abdomen will continue to heal, recover and shrink over the next year. So I would advise you to wait at least one year before considering a tummy tuck. You say you may have another child in 5 years, so if you wait one year from now, then you may be within 4 years of having your next child.  It may not be worth undergoing a tummy tuck if you're going to be getting pregnant within the next 4 years.

I advise you to meet with a board certified plastic surgeon and have this discussion with him/her. I hope this helps and wish you all the best!

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Timing of tummy tuck and pregnancy

+1

Thank you for your question and photo.

Before you make any firm decision, I recommend that you wait at least six months for your tummy to heal. A good bit of the laxity may resolve. Things are still fresh right now.

I also would be hesitant for you to get a tummy tuck when you are planning on having more children. My recommendation would be for you to wait until you are doing having children.

If you do choose to go ahead with it, have a tummy tuck that removes skin and fat only and do not have abdominal plication. Save that until you are done having children.

I hope this helps. Best of luck.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck timing

+1

From your pictures, you look like you are a good candidate for abdominoplasty.  The choice is up to you.  You can proceed with surgery now and enjoy the results for the next five to six years or you can wait until you are done having children to avoid the possibility of an additional surgery. 

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck timing after pregnancy is tricky.

+1

The most important thing you need to do is understand that your tummy skin will continue to tighten for up to 12 months after you deliver and will continue to tighten as you loose weight. Since a tummy tuck is a big procedure that you should plan to do only ONCE i would recommend saving your money for after your last baby is born.

Laurie Casas, MD

Choosing tummy tuck type and future pregnancy

+1

I would not plan on having abdominoplasty surgery (tummy tuck) until you are through with child bearing. Based on your pictures, your abdomen should still improve over time, especially if you exercise.

Donna Rich, MD

What type of tummy tuck and consideration for future pregnancies

+1

You should consider waiting at least 6 months for your abdomen to revert to a more long term post-pregnancy state. Then, if you want to pursue a tightening procedure, it would be reasonable particularly given your dissatisfaction with its appearance and the fact that you are not planning to have children for at least 5 - 6 years. Which procedure would be most prudent for you to undergo would depend on the physical findings at that time.

Realize that any future pregnancy will cause your abdomen to re-stretch meaning that you may require a second tummy tuck procedure to correct the laxity.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Tummy Tuck Timing?

+1

As you are aware; pregnancy changes your abdomen forever- and each pregnancy is different. Your abdomen actually looks quite good for the timeframe as well as having twins. However if you have future pregnancies, your tissues will be streched again even further. I would recommend avoiding a mini or full abdominoplasty until you are finished with having children.

William Loutfy, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Tummy.

+1

Let the scar mature. Then you can consider a scar revision if needed or possibly a "mini tummy tuck". Your abdominal wall appears adequately tight and a future pregnancy would loosen it again, so you should consider putting that off for now and concentrate on toning the muscles. There is little that can be done about the stretch marks after they are there, so you may have to accept those for now, Maybe in the future, if a full tummy tuck is done, some of them may be able to be removed.

Robert H. Schnarrs, MD
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon