Can a Mini-facelift/chin-lift Cause Any Damage/pressure from Scarring on Eustachian Tubes or Middle Ear?

I had a mini-facelift/chin-lift just over a year ago. Since then I have had numbness, tightness, and a feeling of pressure by and just under my ears. Also, my ears become so itchy (on the outside) that if I begin to rub or scratch them, I cannot stop. I also have had what feels like pressure on my eustachian tubes. The surgeon who performed the lifts left did not cut in the folds of my ears and there are visual white lines and scarring. I found out too late that this Dr. isn't very reputable

Can a Mini-facelift/chin-lift Cause Any Damage/pressure from Scarring on Eustachian Tubes or Middle Ear

+1

Hi,

This is virtually impossible. Its the equivalent of having a breast lift and injury to the eustacian tube or middle ear. See a specialist and explore other sources for you problem.

Dr.S.

Damage to Eustachian Tubes and Middle Ear Secondary to Facelift

+1

Anatomically it woulds be impossible to damage your eustachian tubes during facelift surgery. It is possible that your ear canals were inadvertently narrowed but this is unlikely with the incisions you describe. It sounds like you may have permanent injury to sensory nerves aroun your ears which could cause some of the symptoms you describe. Consult with a facial plastic surgeon or an ENT specialist.

Facelift does not affect eustachian tube function

+1

The eustachian tubes are located far inside the ear canal and will not be affected by the facelift incision. Further, it is unusual for a facelift to close down the ear canal. If anything, a poorly planned facelift incision might actually open the ear canal slightly. If you are feeling fullness or pressure in your ears or the itching persists you should followup with an Otolaryngologist (ENT) to further evaluate this issue.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pressure from a facelift

+1

It is unlikely that a facelift would have any effect on your eustachian tubes. In the immediate post-operative phase of healing it is not uncommon to feel pressure and fullness in your ear canals secondary to swelling. This should resolve over the initial 2-3 months of the healing process. There are many things that can cause itchy ears including chronic qtip use, allergies, dermatitis, and external canal infections. I would visit you local ENT for an exam.

Todd C. Miller, MD