When to Have Mini Facelift and Neck Lift After Major Surgery?

Hi doctors,

I've been wanting to improve my facial appearance for a while now. I just had major surgery 5 weeks ago (colon resection) and feel great!

I'm planning on starting to go for some consultations but is there a waiting period that my body needs to fully recover?

Interval between Colon Surgery and Facelift

+2

There are no agreed upon guidelines to answer your question so common sense must reign supreme.

In my opinion, the key to successful surgical recovery is your being in positive nitrogen balance and rested to be able to sustain the physiologic and emotional strain if the surgery. In other words, your body needs to have enough proteins to heal and fully recover from the colon surgery before the Facelift is done.

I THINK 2-3 months should be sufficient. I would not rush into it.

Dr. P. Aldea

Waiting time for Facelift after major surgery

+2

It is probably best to wait for 4 to 6 weeks after a major surgery before having another.

Certainly check with your general surgeon to make sure they are OK with you having any additional procedures.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Spacing surgeries

+1
I'm glad that you are recovering well from colon surgery. Any surgery is a trauma for the body from which you need to recover. Important factors would include your blood values, the amount of blood lost during the colon resection, the length of the anesthesia, and your postop regimen. I would generally recommend waiting at least 3 months between procedures. However, you an certainly take this time to go on consultations and to select a plasic surgeon.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

4-6 weeks

+1

1) the risk of blood clots from the first surgery is there for 4 weeks.

2) the recovery from the blood loss from it varies more for each patient.

Good luck, Nasim Huq

Nasimul Huq, MD
Niagara Falls Plastic Surgeon

Wait 3-6 months after major surgery before having cosmetic surgery

+1

After undergoing a major surgery such as colon resection/abdominal surgery, I think it is prudent to wait at least three to six months prior to having an elective cosmetic procedure.  Also it is important to get approval from your primary colon surgeon.  Consultation and in depth discussion about your procedure is okay to do prior to these dates, but I would wait at least three to six months.  

David Q. Santos, MD

Facelift after major surgery

+1

I would definitely wait several months ( at least 3) before considering a facelift. You want to make sure that you are fully healed form the previous surgery. Consult with your surgeon to see what he/she thinks.

Facelift after major surgery

+1

As long as the rest of the body is in good health, there are no other medical conditions that require further workup, it would be acceptable to proceed with facial cosmetic surgery approximately two months after any other type of major surgery on the body.

Mini facelift after major surgery

+1

Face and neck lift surgery is generally well tolerated by healthy individuals. In your case, anesthesia may be a greater concern than the actual surgery.

Nevertheless, if you have recovered well from your abdominal surgery and if your general health is otherwise good at this time (including nutritional status), I see no reason why you cannot have facelift (mini or otherwise) and neck lift surgery in the near future.

Of course, I recommend that you check with your general surgeon and family physician or internist to be sure that there are no contraindications or potential problems with your health should you elect to have cosmetic surgery within the next couple of months.

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mini Facelift after major surgery

+1

There are no absolute rules regarding the timing of two major surgeries. I do a modification of the MACS Lift (a mini facelift with all the benefits of a standard, full facelift) and have found that most people do exceptionally well with it. Almost all are back to normal activities in 3-7 days. It usually takes 6-8 weeks to return to normal after a surgery like you had, but, if you “feel great,” you probably could have the facelift at any time. You will probably recover a little slower than usual, since your body is still healing the first surgery. However, if you waited until all the healing from the first was completed, you would need to wait a year or more.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Facelift after major surgery

+1

Assuming your overall health is good, I think it is time for you to start the consultation process. By the time you make an appointment and get scheduled, it will have been sufficient time from your colon surgery. Often, when people are out on a leave from work because of another operation, they use that window of time to have cosmetic surgery.

Discuss your health and recent operation with your surgeon, but I think you are good to go, and the recovery from a facelift will be much less than your colon surgery.

Darrick E. Antell, MD