Skin Behind Mini Facelift Scar Looks Odd

I just go a mini face lift and it doesn't look normal? I just got (10 days) and from my ear forward it looks great but from my ear back I have (at my ear) a vein looking thing that is raised and then it kind of looks all wrinkly and old. Is it just because it all hasn't settled in yet and is still swollen, perhaps? I am panicky when I look at myself.

Skin bunching behind the ear is normal during the first few months after a minilift.

+4

Since it has only been 10 days since your minilift, it is normal to have bunching behind the ear for the first few months.  Later cortisone injections flatten early hypertrophic scars and the skin naturally settles down on its own anyway.  Good Luck,

David Hansen,MD

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Revision facelift scars in Los Angeles and Santa Monica

+1

I regularly treat facelift scars that have been performed by others. Treatments include laser, IIT, and topical therapy. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Skin irregularities behind your ears is perfectly normal after minifacelifting.

+1

Thanks for your question.  Usually at least 3 to 4 weeks are necessary to settle the rearrangement of skin and soft tissues during facelifting.  This is especially true behind the ears and also the temple area.  Be patient and allow your body to do its own work in remodeling the scar.  Your plastic surgeon will reassure you and regular follow-up visits will help reassure you as well.

Bruce J. Cusenz, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Skin bunching

+1

A good subcutaneous lift often leaves the doctor with a problem of where to put the excess skin. I now tell my patients that i will make the best but shortest post auricular incision that i can to avoid the pleetd skirt or bunched skin look

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Short scar minilift

+1

If your minilift was done with the short scar approach, there should be a gathering of skin behind the ears. This should resolve itself over a 6 month period. If it presents a problem after that , discuss the possible treatment with your surgeon. Now is too early to make a determination.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Skin bunching after mini facelift

+1

Dear Mini Facelift Patient from Phoenix,
The wrinkles behind your ears after your mini-facelift are skin bunching. One of the drawbacks from mini facelift is skin bunching. It usually smooths out after a few months. If it persists a small revision is required to improve it. 10 days post op is too early to be worried about its appearance. Good luck and good healing….Dr. Sadati

Kevin Sadati, DO

Mini-facelift wrinkling?

+1

The "vein" you describe I assume is probably wrinkling of the skin that was gathered up behind the ear.  This is one of the negatives of a mini-facelift, because redraping of the skin can be a problem.

Skin wrinkling

+1

Ten days post op is a bit early to worry about the long term results.  Skin bunching behind the ear can occur and usually flattens quite nicely.  If it does not improve to your satisfaction the revisional surgery is usually quite minor.

Michael Philbin, MD
Edina Plastic Surgeon

Minifacelift

+1

Hi,

Was the incision carried to the back of your ear?? If it was, it sounds like it wasn't redrapped correctly. If it wasn't then the skin may have bunched up. By 10 days the skin should be flattening quite nicely. It would be better if I could see a picture.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Skin wrinkling after minilifting

+1

Minilifting will occasionally leave some temporary wrinkling behind the ear. This is from the incision not going all the way into the hair behind the ear such as in a full facelift technique. This saves the hairline and allows the patient to wear the hair back in a pony tail with no worries of a visible scar. The wrinkling will resolve so be patient.

Best regards. Dr D

Louis M. DeJoseph, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon