Which Mini Dental Implants System is the Best in the Market?

With so many companies that have small diameter implants for denture stabilization, I don't know which ones are to be trusted. Any suggestions?

Which mini implant system is the best?

They are work well and all have advantages and disadvantages. Sterngold has a nice system... the real question is which is better approach a mini implant or conventional and why would you do a mini implant if you could do conventional? Unless money is a issue. Good Luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD      CEO Baystate Dental PC

Springfield Dentist

Try Intra-lock, It has worked fine for us. Also they are very fast in the delivery, and I have found then very stable. The price is fine as well.

3M Imtec

I have been using the 3M Imtec system for 5 years.  If done correctly and to their protocol.  I don't see many issues at all with them.

Anthony J. Rega, DDS
San Ramon Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

The real question: what are you using a mini implant to accomplish?

There are lots of systems out there, and most of them work well. However, mini implants have limitations and certain indications, and my real question is what are you using the mini implant for?  What I mean is, do you plan on restoring that implant with a tooth, is it helping keep a denture in place, is it by itself or are there multiple implants being placed?

Originally, mini implants were designed to be temporary implants to be used while healing took place with the final restorative plan using conventional sized implants.  Nowadays, some companies have changed their implant surface coating with the design that they will be permanent -- Zest implants just released a study showing 10 year success rates that were quite high. However, mini implants should be reserved for certain indications, and in my opinion are best used for retaining a denture when conventional sized implants are cost prohibitive, there is inadequate bone, and/or when there is inadequate bone and the patient is trying to avoid bone grafting to allow for a large implant to be used.

Mini implants used to restore a tooth is generally a poor decision -- the only teeth I'd ever consider restoring on a mini implant are the smallest teeth we have that are in the least amount of function: lower incisors or upper lateral incisors (the small teeth just next to your two front teeth). Mini's just aren't design to take much biting force, so they won't last if you ask them to do too much work. Investing in a bone graft and a larger implant is a much more predictable long term solution. There are companies like Biohorizons, Nobel Biocare, and Straumann that have come out with 3.0mm implants that are very strong and can withstand long term use. These are just slightly larger than minis, but they will be a better long term choice by far.

If you are using a mini to retain a denture, then you can be successful in a variety of ways, but my personal favorite are the Zest minis which allow for a locator ("snap") attachment to be used. This snap is the same one we place on regular sized implants so you can often get the same end result while saving money and avoiding grafting. Plus, these snaps can be changed out over time as they wear out or tissue height changes where most other mini implants are a single piece meaning nothing can be changed once they're in place. Also, I would recommend using more implants if you go the mini route.

So in summary, if you're thinking minis, evaluate why you're thinking minis. If it's cost and you're looking for teeth, you may want to consider saving for the better more permanent option of a larger implant. If it's a denture retention issue, ask your dentist or surgeon about the system before you commit to make sure you're getting the best design for your situation.

Best Dental Implant

There's really no such thing as the "best implant."  Most implant systems are very similar. They're all FDA approved. Most important is your doctor's experience. Ask if he has treated patients with similar situation to yours.  I would suggest going to the doctor you feel comfortable with and who has the necessary experience. What implant system he uses is way down on the list of importance. Good Luck!

Peter Mann, DDS
Manhattan Dentist

There are not good mini implant systems.

In my experience and courses taken, most mini implants fail either sooner or later. They are intended to be used as temporary implants while the real ones heal.

I suggest you go with traditional implants. If there is an issue with bone width, they have small diameter implants in the 3.5mm range. But they are still considered to be permanent not minis.

The surgeon and restorative dentist is more important than the brand, however make sure it is major brand that has been around for more than 20 yrs, with adequate support for parts and warranties. I like Straumann or Astra, but other like 3i, and nobel biocare are good.

Good luck

Dr. T

Mauricio C. Tijerino, DMD
Miami Beach Dentist