Can I Get a Mini Arm Lift? (photo)

I am 25 years old and have lost about 100 lbs after getting lap band surgery. I really want to get my arms done, but I don't want a visible scar!! Would I be a candidate for a mini arm lift where the scar is just in the arm pit? Do I have any other options???

Which arm lift?

+1

Hello and thanks for your post. I don't believe mini arm lift or liposuction work very well for patients who lose close to or more than 100 pounds. I'm sure there are exceptions, but the vast majority of weight loss patients have too much elasticity in the skin once the weight is gone. Seek a board certified plastic surgeon and consider your options after a consultation. Best wishes, Dr. Aldo.

Mini arm lift vs. full arm lift vs. liposuction

+1

As you can see in the various responses, opinions are all over the place.  I could not make a recommendation without actually feeling the quality of your skin.  I think how the skin feels is a better predictor of skin elasticity than a photo.   It would also be helpful to examine any surgical scars you may have as they can sometimes give an idea of how you will heal. 

If your skin has poor elasticity, a full arm lift would be the best to result in a nice contour.  If you have good elasticity, CAST liposuction alone may be the way to go.  It has been my experience that contour should trump the length of scar in almost any type of surgical procedure. 

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Liposuction of the arm

+1

Arm liposuction is a very successful surgery and will be your best bet with only one tiny incision in your arm.   The classic mini arm lift is a really mini productive endeavor with skin excised in your axilla and simply generally offers you little or nothing.   AVOID THE MINI ARM LIFT ALMOST ALWAYS.    See a very experience ABPS-FACS surgeon about arm liposuction.  You will be pleased.  Be sure the surgeon has vast experience in arm liposuction.  My Best,  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Choice of Arm Lift

+1

Thanks for the question.  The answer depends on what you are willing to go through and what you would consider a reasonable result.  Liposuction alone will remove the excess fat.  The results depends on how elastic you skin is.  You do have youth on your side.  Your surgeon can exam you and get a reasonable idea of your skin quality.

The next option is the mini arm lift.  It involves removing skin in the armpit and pulling the  skin towards the armpit.  the effect becomes less as you move towards the elbow.

The full arm lift allows the surgeon to fully contour you arm.  It gives the best shape, but you are right - you will get a scar from your elbow into your armpit.  This scar is in the inside and usually isn't easily visible, but will certainly be seen if you are actively moving around and wear short sleeves or a swimsuit.

I think it would be worth your time to visit a plastic surgeon and discuss these choices,  Then you can make an informed decision of a mini lift will give you what you want.  Best of luck to you.

Al Rosenthal, MD

Arm lift

+1

You have had so much weight loss that skin elasticity is not going to allow liposuction alone. A mini type arm lift may give you a mini type result. For maximal improvement your best bet is a full arm lift. The scars are usually worth the contour improvement. Good luck!

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Arm Liposuction

+1

Lifts on this famously wobbly part of the human anatomy—known familiarly as “Hi Janes” or “Bingo” arms—are particularly popular. Heavy and even moderately droopy arms can be recountoured very effectively with liposuction. Liposuction modifies volume by sucking out fat and because liposuction stimulates the skin to tighten, good elasticity provides a smooth contour after fat is removed. The procedure takes about an hour, the recovery takes just a couple of days, and there's virtually no scarring. I use several innovative forms of liposuction, including SmartLipo, in order to contour and resculpture the area while providing the most beautiful results with minimal scarring. SmartLipo, used in combination with other forms of liposuction or alone, is a procedure that uses laser light to liquefy fat and tighten the surrounding skin. Liposuction as an outpatient procedure under I.V. sedation can easily reduce the bulge that some people have in their abdomens.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Can I Get a Mini Arm Lift?

+1

Even with the poorly exposed posted photos I recomme n against a mini arm lift. In my opinion only a full brachioplasty will improve with lipo. 

Scars with arm lift

+1

Mini-brachioplasty would not be effective in your case. There is too much fat and skin. A standard brachioplasty is required for a full correction. The scars are usually inconspicuous once they have matured. Liposuction would help....a bit.

J. Brian Boyd, MD

Questions about a mini-brachioplasty

+1

You actually appear to be a good candidate for just liposuction of the upper arms.  Most patients are disappointed with the results of a mini-brachioplasty.  It just does not seem to help that much or last that long.  

Can I Get a Mini Arm Lift?

+1

An axillary arm lift will likely give results that would be suboptimal with your anatomy.  An exam would yield better information.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of body contouring procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA