Mini Arm Lift Scar and Fraxel for Scar Treatment?

Hi, I'm considering doing a mini arm lift (just under the arm pit). However, I'm terrified of the scar (even though my scars heal well). I would only do the surgery if I can have a strong scar treatment procedure done to eliminate most of the scarring. I heard Fraxel is good for that. What is the best treatment out there for surgical scar removal?

Arm Lifting and Scarring?

+1

I would suggest that you be very careful with your decision-making. “Mini arm lifting” surgery provides very limited arm lifting results. If you do have significant redundant/loose upper arm skin, it is very likely that you will not be pleased with the results of this operation.

Also, if you are truly “terrified” of scarring,  then it would be in your best interests not to undergo surgical procedures. Scarring from arm lifting surgery can be relatively complication prone and revisionary surgery may be necessary to improve the results of this procedure. There is no such thing as “surgical scar removal”.

No proven method to remove an established scar

+1

I would not expect to have any improvement in scarring by the use of a Fraxel laser.  The best that you can do is keep the incision taped for the first 3 weeks and then perform vigorous massage of the scar from the end of the 3rd week to the end of the third month.  There are no proven methods to remove an established scar.  

Scar removal

+1

Dear Lovely7,

Unfortunately, once you have surgical skin incision, there is no way to remove the scar. The quality of scar depends on your skin healing and your surgeon. Your skin healing is genetic and not much can be done about it at this stage. Your surgeon, however, plays a big role in the scar formation. That is why you should look for a board certified plastic surgeon that will be able to give you the most meticulous wound repair.  2 weeks after surgery , you may apply products like coco butter, shey butter, vit E or mederma that will help the scar to mature faster.

Best of luck.

Dr Widder

Shlomo Widder, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Arm Lift

+1

Any surgery will leave a scar. There are no guarantees or warrantees as to the final look of the scar. Scarring is determined by genetic factors. There are no guaranteed treatments of removing scars.

So you are not a candidate for surgery if you are not willing to accept a scar.