Does Mini-abdominoplasty Increase Functional Strength?

I am a 42 yo female - s/p twin pregnancy 8 years - 5"9 145 lbs. I am scheduled for a consult regarding a breast lift but considering adding on a mini abdominoplasty vs. Liposuction. I would expect a good cosmetic result from the procedure but I am wondering if it increases the strength on the Rectus or transversus muscles? I have done pilates for years and simply can't get the strength to do many of the core exercises. I modify exercises and keep trying but perhaps a repair is the way to go

Mini or full tummy tuck?

+2

I am not aware of any studies that show that mini- abdominoplasty increases functional strength.

Based on your description of your  weight and exercise program I think you are in relatively good shape but few words of caution may be helpful... In my opinion, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies (especially a twin pregnancy) and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.
It is important  for patients seeking abdominal contouring surgery to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve  their chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

Do tummy tucks increase abdominal strength?

+1

Hello Julie. Tummy tucks tighten the abdomen by removing loose, excess skin and sewing the abdominal muscles together in the midline. However, I don't think any kind of tummy tuck, mini or full, will actually increase the abdominal muscles' functional strength. 

Also, most people who need a tummy tuck usually require a full tummy tuck. Mini tummy tucks only address the loose skin and muscles below the belly button. I advise you to visit with at least one board certified plastic surgeon to discuss these issues in person. 

I hope that helps and wish you all the best!

Muscle stregnth after mini tummy tuck

+1

First, if yo have had children you may be a better candidate for a full tummy tuck.  I am not a big fan of mini tummy tucks because most patients require tightening of the muscles above and below the umbilicus and are usually also botherd by lose skin above the umbilicus.  These are all best treated by a full tummy tuck.  The muscles will not ber stronger or weaker after surgery.

+1

As Dr Pousti states there are NO studies that show a mini TT increases abdominal strength. Thinking logically the operation has no effect upon the muscles so there will be no increase in strength. 

Mini tuck does not increase functional strength

+1
Mini tuck is generally a suoerficial procedure and, as such, would not increase core strength. However, if you do not require full abdominoplasty, it should be an adequate method for handling your issue. I generally will not combine a full abdominoplasty with breast surgery because the additional operative time carries a significantly higher risk of post op complications. I have seen patients regularly who do not require full abdominoplasty. The recovery time from the mini tuck as well as the cost are reduced so it warrants inquiry.

Robert L. Kraft, MD