Can I Do Milia Removal Myself?

I have read the articles about milia treatment. Can I do this myself with a small needle? If so, will it leave me with a black eye while it heals?

Yes, you can remove milia yourself

+3

If the milia are tiny and superficial use a small needle to prick the skin and pinch the spot between your index finger and thumb or between 2 cotton tipped swabs. This may do the trick.

If the milia are any bigger or not sitting high up in the skin don't attempt this at home. You'll end up with bruising, swelling, redness, and the milia will still be there when you're done. In these cases see your dermatologist or an aesthetician.

Boston Dermatologic Surgeon

Removing milia

+2

I don't suggest any patient taking a needle to their face; it could lead to injury or scarring. If you can purchase a comedone extractor from a beauty store then try that. Otherwise see your local Dermatologist for treatment and instructions.

Manhattan Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.