Normal to Extract Milia on Eyelids?

I have milia on both my upper and lower eyelids. They have been there for 10 years now. I have maybe 15+ on each eyelid. Is it a normal practice to extract them when its located on such a sensitive area?

More Diffcult But Can Be Done

+2

It is obviously more difficult to extract milia from these areas. I have found that using an 11 blade and forceps useful. I cannot imagine trying it with a comedone extractor, a device otherwise utilized.

I would switch your eye shadow. It seems like it might be clogging your pores. This would lead to the formation of milia.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Eyelid Milia management

+1

Milia are trapped whitish material (keratin) beneath the skin often following eyelid surgery. These tiny cysts have a thin almost translucent skin covering which is usually opened, unroofed, with the tip of a needle allowing the contents to be removed. A simple and often painless office procedure. I would recommend this treatment than taking matters in your own hands and attempting extraction.

Consult with a dermatologist regarding why you have this problem and make sure it is milia and not a different cause such as cholesterol deposits, a sign of hyperlipidemia (too high cholesterol in the blood) requiring treatment. In general prevention consists of not using thick greasy ointments and using a retinoid such as Retin-A.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS