Mild Symmastia? Does It Look Like Another Revision is Needed? (photo)

Mild symmastia? Does it look like another revision is needed? I am 6 months post op. I have HP implants 425cc o/f to 475cc. Please tell suggestions. When I lay down they separate but standing up they are so close... I've had a capsulorrhaphy pocket revision and it seems that the right has given out but left is tacked tight leaving no side boob! I do upper body workouts too will that cause damage?

Symmastia?

+1

You do not have symmastia. I would however question the size of your breast implants.  They are larger than the diameter of your chest wall.  You should speak with your plastic surgeon about your concerns.  The solution can be complex.  Good luck.

Breast implants can be too large.

+1

The diameter of the breast implants exceeds the natural diameter of the breasts in the picture. The patient does not have synmastia but does have implants the go beyond the medial border of the breast. It also violate the borders superiorly in the early in laterally. This makes the breast look artificial.

Revision of Symmastia Problem

+1

Whether an additional revision is going to be worth it for you is a personal choice. But if you have another revision the technique can not be the same as the last one if you want it to be more successful. You will likely need to downsize your implants and close off the medial pockets with some type of allogeneic dermis to have a better outcome.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Symmastia? What do you think?

+1

If you like your breasts and the look you have with them, don't obsess over this.  You do not have symmastia where the pockets are essentially one but you do have minimal space between your breasts.  If you absolutely need more space between your breasts, you may have to change implant style and/or size in addition to some internal pocket work and accept the risks of another surgery.  Is that worth it to you?

Curtis Wong, MD

Symmastia Repair Failure

+1

I am sorry for your persistent problems with your implants overriding the midline (symmastia). Although this is a complex issue, the way I am interpreting your question is: Do my breasts look too close together?  My answer is yes, both subjectively ( I do not like this look for my patients), and objectively (your right breast implant looks to be past the midline of your sternum, and your right implant is too far out over the sternum).

Capsulorrhaphy is an excellent technique for reshaping the implant pocket which in turn repositions the implant. However, for symmastia issues, this technique does not work as well as another one, which entails making a new submuscular pocket (neo-submuscular pocket) by collapsing and sewing closed the old pocket. Additionally, your repair was bound for failure due to the inappropriately large implants for your chest dimensions, and the use of high profile implants which push the skin envelope away from your sternum more aggressively.

Although others might disagree, I think if you want to get serious about fixing this problem, you will need to let go of your original aesthetic goals of breast augmentation, and allow an expert revision breast surgeon to remove your current implants, definitively repair the pockets, and replace with implants that are both narrower in diameter and lower profile (roughly a 150 cc reduction). Although I am sure you've already spent a lot of money, this is no time to look for the cheapest prices; that will only lead you back to wear you are now.

Best of luck.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Symmastia?

+1

Thank you for your question and photos.  It is not clear if the photo on the left is you after your latest revision.  In any event, you have a very narrow distance between the breasts, but not true symmastia.  The basic tenants for repair of this problem is to down size the implants and then use a combination of techniques with suture and/or a biologic tissue (Strattice) to help support the implant medially to prevent it from migrating over.  This is a difficult revision surgery and can be troubled by recurrence of the original problem (implant being too far medially).  Best to have your surgeon evaluate you and the two of you can determine if another revision needs to be done

Best of luck.

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Mild Symmastia? Does It Look Like Another Revision is Needed?

+1

It would be difficult to recommend a revision in this situation without an exam, as this is not a routine case.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Your condition is not synmastia but the was very little separation in the midline

+1

Your breast implants were very close together.  You did not mention if the implants are subglandular or submuscular.  Your revision looks better with more separation between the two implants.  You may need another minor revision to release the lateral portion of the left breast.  

Not synmastia

+1

You have narrow but very defined cleavage. This is not synmastia. You also have lateral nipple position. If you want a wider cleavage distance then you need narrower implants. 

Evan Feldman, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Symmastia or not

+1

Symmastia is when the breast run together in the middle of the chest with the skin tented upward between. Your photo shows cleavage with very full and projecting implants. Another revision might be premature as you look fairly good. You might be better off to wait a year and see how things are.