Lipo for Patient with Mild Sleep Apnea

I have mild sleep apnea. Would I be able to get the fat taken out with Smart Lipo or Laser and tighten skin with medicare & medicaid?

Insurance does NOT cover liposuction

+2

Insurance does NOT cover liposuction, even if you have sleep apnea. large volume liposuction of the abdominal and neck areas can possibly improve breathing for patients with sleep apnea, by removing excess abdominal and chest weight.

Liposuction of the neck will not help sleep apnea.

+1

I have never read anything supporting liposuction as a treatment for sleep apnea.  A sleep workup needs to be done.  Suction would be experimental and would not be covered  by insurance.

Liposuction may not help sleep apnea.

+1

Liposuction may not help sleep apnea.  There are many different causes of sleep apnea and the best way to get a proper diagnosis and treatment is from a sleep medicine specialist.

Even with a diagnosis of sleep apnea medicare/medicaide would not pay for a procedure which is performed by liposuction.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction for patients with medical problems - sleep apnea

+1

Insurance does not cover liposuction procedures, as they are usually cosmetic in nature.  Liposuction has a high safety profile and can be performed with patients with medical problems.  You would have to check with your surgeon and anestthesiologist regarding your case. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Sleep apnea nd liposuction

+1

I know of no insurance company that wil lcover liposuction for sleep apnea. Of course I could be wrong and you should check with your insurance.

Sleep apnea and liposuction

+1

There are many causes of sleep apnea.  Having excess fatty tissues in the neck area might have some effect on severity of sleep apnea, nevertheless there is no evidence that liposuction of the neck has any beneficial effect on sleep apnea.

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction for patients with mild sleep apnea

+1

Liposuction is a popular and effective way to contour the body. This surgery may be performed in a number of settings and with a variety of anesthesia. If you are interested in correcting a small area, it may be possible to perform this surgery under local or regional anesthesia while you are awake. If a larger area is requested, you may be best served by performing this under sedation or general anesthesia with an anesthesiologist present.

Be sure that you only work with a board-certified plastic surgeon who has a great deal of experience in liposuction and body contouring techniques. Their knowledge, experience, and commitment to your safety will help you get a beautiful result in a safe way.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Medicare / Medicaid and Liposuction (Tummy Tuck, Breast Augmentation, Facelift...)

+1

Medicare is a Federal program intended to provide NECESSARY medical care to those over 65 and the disabled. Medicaid and its state affiliate programs (CalAid, TennCare etc) are intended to provide the most essential of medical care to the indigent. NEITHER one of these program will knowingly pay for ANY cosmetic surgery (Liposuction, Breast Augmentation, Tummy Tuck, Facelift etc). Any doctor who represents such procedures as anything but cosmetic is breaking the law and is risking serious penalties.

With mild sleep apnea, correction of obesity by diet and exercise is the first step. Other methods are employed as indicated in each condition.

This procedure would most likely not be covered

+1

Neck liposuction/ laser lipolysis is a procedure mainly designed for individuals with excessive fatty tissue under the skin.  It has not been shown to help with sleep apnea.  The objective of the procedure is to improve the cosmetic appearance of the neck. 

Amir Moradi, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Not likely

+1

It is not likely that medicare or medicaid would cover fat removal with Smart Lipo or Laser. It is not considered a documented nor accepted modality for management of mild sleep apnea.