Mild Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy After Lipo + Fat Transfer?

Interesting Medscape info on HBO. It suggests improved fibroblast and collagen synthesis and angiogenesis. But just because a therapy helps in problem cases doesn't mean it helps in normal cases. Also, comparing real HOT to mild lower-pressure is iffy. I'm skeptical, but my surgeon says it helps patients recover (and he recommends an outside facility so isn't profiting); I'm inclined to try it, but wish I had more confidence in it.

Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy After Fat Transfer

+1

Hyperbaric oxygen therapy has not been demonstrated to help in fat grafting survival.  However, it has been approved for a number of problematic wound healing issues. 

Hyperbaric oxygen to enhance fat transfer is experimental at best.

+1

Hyperbaric oxygen in it's most classic administration has questionable benefits for even cases involving pathologic healing.  It's benefits in a healthy person undergoing fat transfer are very suspect and, if I were you, would not waste money.

Mild Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy after Liposuction and Fat Transfer

+1

Mild hyperbaric oxygen therapy isn’t hyperbaric and isn’t oxygen.

• It gives you air, not pure oxygen at a pressure much lower than hyperbaric - essentially normal pressure. 

In effect it charges you to do

You are right to lack confidence it it. Save your money for something else.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Hyperbaric Oxygen After Liposuction and Fat Transfer

+1

Save your hard earned money.  There is not even one tiny shred of evidence that this  use of hyperbaric oxygen contributes anything whatsoever to liposuction and  fat transfer survival in human patients.  Possibly some laboratory rat has been shown to have lived 20 seconds longer with a tad more fat,  but not one human result.   The recommendation of hyperbaric oxygen is used by some doctors as a slick marketing gimmick.  It sounds good, I guess....but it does not benefit the patient. The other motivation for  a doctor's recommendation of hyperbaric oxygen can be  purely direct or indirect economics.   The only winners are the company selling the oxygen and hyperbaric  equipment, the doctor unfortunately, and of course the doctor's marketing staff. The big loser is the patient who wastes hard earned money and time traveling back and forth and paying for nonsense. Don't fall for this foolishness.  Save your money.  Go elsewhere to a different doctor who has your best interests in  heart and mind.   My Best,  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon