Is Mild Discomfort and Soreness to Be Expected During Exercise at 7 Weeks Post-op TT?

I am 7 1/2 weeks post-op tummy tuck with a hernia and muscle repair. I have been given the go ahead, as of 4 weeks post-op, to slowly resume my cardio and weight training routines. However, at this point I am curious if it is normal that I feel soreness, shooting-sharp pain with moderate swelling throughout my abdomen. I still wear my compression garment and the aforementioned feelings aren't debilitating, but I am concerned about how normal they are at this point in the healing phase. Thank you

Tummy Tuck - Is Mild Discomfort and Soreness to Be Expected During Exercise at 7 Weeks Post-op TT?

+2

Yes, this sounds normal to me.

Of course, each case is different and only your own PS can give you a real green light, but I hear this a lot from my patients.  I generally recommend that exercising after this procedure start no earlier than 3 weeks post-op and, at that point, that you start slowly and advance as tolerated.  If you're uncomfortable as you move forward on the exercise, don't hesitate to back off a bit, rest for a few days, and then start it up again.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Post-Op Activity Instructions Following Tummy Tuck Surgery

+2

At seven weeks following tummy tuck surgery, experiencing aches and pains with more strenuous physical activities is common.

I restrict my patient to a 5-10 pound lifting restriction for two weeks following surgery. At that point, if they are doing well, they may begin very simple minimally strenuous light aerobic activities and exercises.  “Start low and go slow” - there is no rush, as everyone will eventually return to their normal level of functioning.   Initially patients may have difficulty with activities that were once easy, but in time everyone regains their strength and stamina.

It is important that patients use how their body feels and responds as a guide to continuing and furthering their activity. It is not uncommon to experience aches and other soreness either during or after exercise. If an activity causes too much pain or discomfort, stop it and wait several days before trying again. Activities and exercises should be increased slowly and consistently, over the subsequent weeks, as a patient works to return to normal. The key is to not over-do-it so you can maintain a steady recovery of function.

In a normal recovery following tummy tuck surgery, patients are allowed to return to full strenuous activity/exercise at six weeks after surgery. In reality most patients do not reach that level for eight weeks or more. After that time patients may still report intermittent aches or pains that occur over the next several months.

Please check with your surgeon for further recommendations and advice.

Best wishes, Kenneth Dembny

Kenneth Dembny, II, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Mild discomfort and soreness during exercise

+2

Mild discomfort and soreness with exercise is what most would describe as their normal experience at the gym. You should remember that you have been away for almost two months and should start as a beginner. Light aerobic activity, low impact is best. Gentle yoga and stretch can round out your routine. Return from the injured list will take patience and time. Listen to your body and give only what it will take.

peterejohnsonmd.com

Mild soreness several months out after tummy tuck not uncommon

+2

Although its difficult to give a definite answer without examining you, mild soreness as you describe with increase in activity level at 7-8 week following a tummy tuck sounds normal and comparable to what some of my patients have reported.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

+2

Always best to be seen by your chosen surgeon for these issues. It could be normal but over the internet we can only offer a guess. 

Pain 2 months after tummy tuck

+2

It is totally normal for patients to describe symptoms like you are having but just please be sure that your doctor knows about them and that way they can check you if they feel it is indicated.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Exercise after tummy Tuck

+2

Yes, it is quite common to be experiencing the soreness and sometimes shooting pains 7 weeks post op tummy tuck surgery.  I am sure that your surgeon has told you to listen to your body and not do too much too soon.  In my experience, it takes patients 3-6 months post op surgery to feel "completely back to normal".

Best of luck with your recovery.

Swelling and Pain From Exercising After Tummy Tuck

+1
This sounds typical since you're just returning to your exercise regimen. I would recommend you take it easier and if you have serious concerns, please talk to your surgeon. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD