Can a Mild Chemical Peel be Used to Reduce Periareolar Scar Hyperpigmentation?

I am 6 months post-op from gynecomastia treatment. My surgeon used a peri-areloar incision to remove both glandular tissue and perform liposuction. The scar was kept under pressure for over 2 months and was massaged daily for about 3-4 months. Overall it has healed rather well. There is a small degree of hyperpigmentation on the edges of the scar. I think the scar would be virtually unnoticable if it weren't for the hyperpigmentation. Is a very mild chemical peel safe? Will it help?

Chemical Peel for Hyperpigmentation of Scar

+1

Scars take a good 12-18 months to get to their final color. Redness usually fades and the brown hyperpigmentation starts to fade.  I would recommend starting with some type of fade cream, such as a 4% hydroquinone that your plastic surgeon can perscribe..  If that does not work then a Vi-Peel or TCA peel might be helpful.  Good luck.

Scar at 6 months

+1

It is quite common to have some redness or hyperpigmentation that may last up to a year and sometimes longer.  Sometimes IPL can help.

This skin will not tolerate this peel.

+1

To get rid of hyper pigmentation, the chemical peel must penetrate into the skin deep enough to reach the pigment.  The peri-areloar skin will not heal well from this type of treatment.  You might considered having non ablative laser treatment to help this.  Look for a dermatologist who has a broad array of lasers in their practice.  This allows them to choose the right tool for the job.