Can Someone Who Has Mild Blepheritis and Mild Dry Eye Get Upper and Lower Eyelifts?

I have mild blepharitis (mild in that it rarely bothers me-I have a light daily routine of washing the lids w/ warm water and a Q-tip) I had the blepheritis chronically in my 20s but that later resolved with antibiotics and self care. About 10 years ago I had Lasik w/ few issues one of which I was told was dry eye that have since resolved, but I've read that people with blepheritis/dry eye should not have eyelift surgery. I am 45. Is this true and is there anything I can do to mitigate it?

Blepharitis and Dry Eye Syndrome are contra indications to Blepharoplasty Eyelid Surgery

+1

Blepharoplasty eyelid surgery can worsen both Blepharitis and Dry Eye Syndrome and I would not do a Blepharoplasty on a patient with these conditions. The potential complications are very serious and difficult to manage. You are best to avoid having a Blepharoplasty

Eyelid surgery in someone with dry eye

+1

There's only one thing that's certain about you having a Blepharoplasty or eyelid surgery and that's the procedure will not help your blepharitis and dry eye and one would expect it to make these worse at least in the early post-op phase.  Be sure that the plastic ansd cosmetic surgeon who does your eyelid surgery takes precautions afterwards to keep your eyes properly lubricated. 

Blepharitis and Eyelid lifts

+1

Mild blepharitis is likely to increase the risk associated with blepharoplasty. Risks that would increase include infection and increased scarring. Blepharoplasty could be performed understanding the increased risks, but the blepharitis must be maximally treated prior to surgery. If staphylococcal blepharitis is present, then cultures should be obtained to identify the antibiotics that are effective at treating this infection. These antibiotics should be used prior to and after the surgery. If you are considering this surgery seriously, I would recommend care by both a plastic surgeon and an ophthalmologist to maximize chances of success and minimize the chance of infection.

Temp Patterson, MD
Burley Facial Plastic Surgeon