Will the Fact That I've Severely Bottomed out Affect the Aesthetic Outcome of my Explant? (photo)

I have planned on removing my implants for awhile, but finally scheduled surgery for 8/14/13 (total time of 7 months with them in). In the time since I decided on removal and the surgery, my implants have severely bottomed out. My PS is lifting the IMF, reattaching the chest muscle, and performing a capsulectomy. I'm concerned the bottoming out has affected my ability to look similar to pre-BA. May I have had better results removing them pre-bottoming out? (I'm 25, no kids, no weight gain/loss.)

Results after Breast Implant Removal (with Bottoming Out)?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures. It is difficult to give you an accurate answer when it comes to the results of breast implant removal “pre-bottoming out”. At this point, it sounds like your plastic surgeon has a good plan for you and based on your characteristics posted, it is likely that you will end up with a very nice outcome.

Bottoming out.

+1

Bottoming out after breast augmentation can happen but can be corrected with a capsulorrhaphy and capsulotomy, ie., suturing the inferior pole capsule and opening the superior capsule to reposition the implant.  You may be better served by performing this and maybe changing the implant size to better suit you instead of completely removing the implant.

John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

What to Expect After Removing Breast Implants

+1

It seems like a good idea to recreate your inframammary crease and to do a partial capsulectomy. Your implants have only been in 7 months so your tissues should shrink to a fairly normal esthetic result, not exactly like you were preop but not deformed. To answer your question, I believe the longer the implants are in place, the harder it is to get a good result: waiting probably made the operation more difficult.

Paul S. Howard, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Bottoming out and implant removal

+1

Sounds like your surgeon has a reasonable plan. Suturing the fold should help, but remember your breasts will probably not look exactly the same as before implants because the tissues have been expanded.

Will the Fact That I've Severely Bottomed out Affect the Aesthetic Outcome of my Explant? (

+1

The bottoming out just adds another layer of sutures for your surgeon, but should have no affect on the outcome. It looks like the implants are not huge,and skin tone looks ok, as far as one can tell in the photo. Many things in your favor for a good outcome. All the best.

Bottoming out

+1

Since your breasts have been enlarged, they will not look exactly like they did prior to surgery. However, the plan that your plastic surgeon is using should do well for you. If after you remove the implants, you want more fullness, you could consider fat injections. Best wishes for you.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon