Chest Muscle Deformity When Muscles Are Flexed; Will Explant Fix This?

I had 350cc submuscular silicone implants placed 12/27/12. I'm removing 8/14/13 for numerous reasons. Right now, my implants look distorted when I flex my chest muscles. I know the implants are not fully under the muscle as they have bottomed out. I'm wondering if removal of the implants, capsulectomy, reattachment of the muscle to the chest wall, and raising of the IMF will correct this deformity, or will they look deformed forever because the muscles have been cut? I don't want to be deformed!

+2

Unfortunately, animation or flexion deformity, may persist even when breast implants are removed. This is related to the presence of scar tissue that “connects” the pectoralis major muscle to the overlying breast tissue/skin.  In my experience, this may be a difficult problem to “fix”.

Best wishes;  hopefully you will be pleased with the outcome of the planned procedure, even if there is some breast movement that occurs with muscle flexion.

Options for correction of animation deformity

+1

I have seen several cases where the animation deformity persists after the implants are removed, so it is very important to have the muscles re-attached. There are also some very good options for correction of animation without removing the implants, specifically conversion to the split muscle plane. I can send you a copy of my article describing this if you like.

Richard Baxter, MD

+1

The deformity is from the pectoral muscles compressing the implants. Once these are gone, this should no longer occur. 

All the best. 

Odd muscle movements after augmentation

+1

Once your implants are out, there should be no further flexion deformity when you move your chest muscles.

Carmen Kavali, MD