Chance of Developing Seroma/Hematoma After Explant if Drains Are Used?

I'm explanting mid-August after 7 months of having 350cc silicone unders due to severe bottoming out & other reasons (I'm 25, no kids, no significant weight gain, etc.) My PS is performing a capsulectomy, reattaching the chest muscle, and raising the IMF. He will be placing drains for approximately a week. My question is: What are the chances of developing a seroma or hematoma with the use of drains? I'm scared of developing one and then having that affect the aesthetic outcome/healing process.

Seroma and explant

+1

You will have a minimal chance of seroma following an explant. If the entire capsule is removed then you will have a slightly higher risk.

Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

+1

Neither bleeding nor serous drainage will be prevented (or caused) by drains. Fluid collections that might have occurred will not since the fluid will come out the drains. I would trust your surgeons recommendation. 

All the best. 

Chance of Developing Seroma/Hematoma After Explant (Breast Implants) if Drains Are Used?

+1

I am sorry to hear about the complications you have experienced after breast augmentation surgeon. However, it sounds like you and your plastic surgeon have a good plan at this point. The steps that he is taking seem reasonable.

With carefully performed surgery and the use of trains postoperatively, it is unlikely that you will develop problems with fluid accumulation. You should have some peace of mind, that if this does occur, an office drainage procedures are possible. Even if a fluid accumulation should occur, it should not detract from the final aesthetic outcome achieved.

Best wishes with your upcoming procedure.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/breast-implant-removal.htm

Better chances with a drain

+1
  • Capsule tony and use of drains will keep the risk of seroma much lower. Should a seroma develop it can be easily drained in the office and should not effect the overall outcome.
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon