What is the Difference Between a 'Weak Chin' and Micrognathia/retrognathia and How Do You Know Which One You Have? (photo)

Also, it is common to have a weak chin. The only thing I know for sure is that I have an overbite. I don't have chewing issues or breathing issues and I breathe through my nose throughout the day. My teeth are not squeezed together as sometimes happens when you have the smaller lower jaw issue. So how can I tell which one I have and are you able to tell for sure from just these pictures?

What is the Difference Between a 'Weak Chin' and Micrognathia/retrognathia and How Do You Know Which One You Have?

+1

You can differentiate microgenia from retrognathia or micrognathia by examining the bite and assessing whether there is a jaw deficiency or just a chin deficiency.  An orthodontist should be able to assess this, and cephalometrics may be performed to substantiate this.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Weak Chin vs Weak Jaw

+1

One's dentition is the key to differentiating a weak chin from a weak total lower jaw. But by just looking at your profile any chin concerns you have are not part of a deficient lower jaw but just a weaker chin.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD