What is the Difference Between a 'Weak Chin' and Micrognathia/retrognathia and How Do You Know Which One You Have? (photo)

Also, it is common to have a weak chin. The only thing I know for sure is that I have an overbite. I don't have chewing issues or breathing issues and I breathe through my nose throughout the day. My teeth are not squeezed together as sometimes happens when you have the smaller lower jaw issue. So how can I tell which one I have and are you able to tell for sure from just these pictures?

What is the Difference Between a 'Weak Chin' and Micrognathia/retrognathia and How Do You Know Which One You Have?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You can differentiate microgenia from retrognathia or micrognathia by examining the bite and assessing whether there is a jaw deficiency or just a chin deficiency.  An orthodontist should be able to assess this, and cephalometrics may be performed to substantiate this.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Weak Chin vs Weak Jaw

One's dentition is the key to differentiating a weak chin from a weak total lower jaw. But by just looking at your profile any chin concerns you have are not part of a deficient lower jaw but just a weaker chin.