Questions About my Eyes Shape: Asymmetry? Ptosis? (photo)

My left eyelid is more prominent than my right, is this ptosis or is it normal to have eyelid showing. Also, what shape are my eyes, they seem like an uncommon shape to me. I am wondering so that I may look into surgeries to correct my eyes shape to make them more "normal". Lastly, why does my right eye look different in both those pictures? I have noticed that sometimes (very rarely) I have skin covering my right eyelid.

Almost 4 Months Post Op...feel Tough Still, Normal?

+1

Great questions! But ALWAYS best to seek IN PERSON evaluations for these orbital anatomic issues. 

Whatever is going on is subtle.

+1

The punishment should fit the crime.  I think it is very difficult to evaluate you based on the photos you have provided.  The photos were taken with a short focal length lens which induces axial magnification of the face.  This really distorts things.  My take is that your right eye looks a bit small.   You don't manifest ptosis in these pictures.  If you are motivated go get assessed by an oculoplastic surgeon.  I think most doctors will tell you to ignore the asymmetry unless is gets worse in the future. 

Eyebrow Ptosis

+1
Thank you for your question and photos. Based on your photos I do not see any evidence of eyelid ptosis.  This diagnosis is usually obvious but at times requires physical examination.  It appears that your eyelid asymmetry is due to eyebrow asymmetry. This is a very common finding and can be caused by dominance of one eye, forehead asymmetry or soft tissue asymmetry.  If it is a concern, it can usually be addressed with a unilateral minimally invasive procedure.  All the best.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Heavy upper lids look good in men

+1

You don't have ptosis, but you do have a mild asymmetry. I would not recommend having surgery to correct this, as you may end up with a feminized upper eyelid and continued asymmetry. I wouldn't do anything for it, but if it bothers you that much, you might want to try some Botox along the lateral aspect of the right orbicularis muscle. It may raise your brow a mm or two that would tighten the upper lid skin a bit and give you better symmetry. This technique is described in my book :Cosmetic Injection Techniques available from Thieme Medical Publisher or Amazon.com for injectors interested in learning this and other basic and advanced techniques.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid asymmetry

+1

First, let me start by saying that eyelid asymmetry, or facial asymmetry for that matter, is completely normal. Some degree is asymmetry is very common.

From your photos posted, you do not have eyelid ptosis. What you have is a very subtle heavier eyelid fold on your right upper eyelid which shows less of your eyelid platform [your left eye shows more eyelid platform].  This is an incredibly mild asymmetry and I would venture to say that you are the only one that notices this. If you cannot stand this asymmetry, this can be addressed surgically with a very modest skin excision from the right upper eyelid so it will more closely resemble the left side.

Otherwise your eye shape looks rather normal.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Slight eyelid asymmetry is normal.

+1

Hi.

I think your eyelids are normal, and probably would not recommend surgery.  At the most, you could have a little bit of skin removed from the right upper eyelid.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)