Tummy Tuck Overhang? (photo)

I had a C section 3 yrs ago, and scar was 6 ins wide, with skin overhanging. This was not dramatic, but did bother me as showed through some clothes. This year I had to have a hysterectomy for fibroids and surgeon said he would go in via my scar and tidy it. On my discharge notes it says abdominoplasty, and he said he took about 2 inches of skin. I am now 4 weeks post and scar is wider and my overhang is worse. I am really not happy with the result. Is it too soon to know if this will settle?

Gynecologists doing 'tummy tucks'

+2

They do like to call removal of excess skin abdominoplasties but they really are not.  They are simply removing OBVIOUS excesses of skin and lengthening your incision a little.  If this was done as a courtesy to you as part of your medical procedure, you have no grounds to complain.  If you paid extra to have this done, you should be talking about your concerns to your doctor and see what he/she can do to resolve your concerns and improve your results. 

Limited Tummy Tuck Equals Limited Results

+2

Unfortunately, the 'little' operation you had was not a true tummy tuck and the result speaks for itself.There is no reason to expect it to improve with more time as there remains a tissue excess that is not magically going to shrink down with more healing. You are in need of a true tummy tuck performed by a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

No Abdominoplasty!

+2

You had operations performed by a gynecologist. These medical specialist are not trained to perform body contouring procedures.  Plastic surgeons are trained in body contouring.  Your overhang may persists since it is very doubtful that you had an abdominoplasty!  Consult with a plastic surgeon.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Tummy Tuck Overhang?

+2

Although you have a scar and apparently your surgeon (? gynecologist) took away some skin, it does not sound like you had a full tummy tuck or even a formal lower tummy tuck.  You also appear to have some thickness of fatty tissue that may stand in the way of your achieving much improvement from a full tummy tuck at this point without further weight loss.  You should see a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation with examination of your tummy.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Swelling after a tummy tuck

+2

Thank you for your question and photographs. You likely still have some swelling from the procedure and this should go down over the next couple of months. It sounds like your surgeon just took out a little skin which is why your scar is wider but this is not a real tummy tuck. If you are still unhappy with the result in a couple of months, I recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon for an expert evaluation.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

You need an in person consultation

+2

See a board certified plastic surgeon, it looks like you need an full tummy tuck. What you had done might have helped you, but it will not replace a full tummy tuck with an umbilical transposition.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

More healing will occurr but overhang may not change that much

+2
Hello, Thank you for the photos. It is early and you should give it more time for healing to complete. With that said I do not think that you will see a dramatic change in the amount of skin overhang. At that you may choose to get a comprehensive assessment by a board certified plastic surgeon to address all of your abdominal contouring concerns. All the best, Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Tummy Tuck Overhang

+2

It is early to evaluate the scar, but if there is overhanging skin, I would not be optimistic that it will tighten spontaneously. Swelling may decrease, scar thickness may improve, but if the skin has lost its elasticity, and by your history it has, it is hard to imagine that it will contract during the healing. 

This merits discussion with your surgeon.

Thanks for your question, best wishes.

Tummy Tuck Overhang?

+1

This is the reason to ALWAYS consult with a boarded PLASTIC SURGERY. Your issue was the few inches were NOT enough removal to obtain an acceptable result.