Concerns After Midface Lift and Eyelid Surgery

I had Midface Lift and lower Eyelid surgery 4 weeks ago. I can't feel my top lip still more in left side. I still have stitches in my mouth and can't smile like I used to. I'm also still swollen a bit and my eyes pulling a bit down; they are a bit tight. Do u think I will be normal soon? I'm very worried. Everybody says I'm getting better everyday but I still can't smile and feel my lip. Please help me.

Your mid facelift may turn out well in time.

+2

Hi!

I happen to be one of the few plastic surgeons in New York City who does a lot of mid facelifts. It's a great operation, but it is tricky.

1)The muscles of the face are moved up, and the surgery is done all around the infraorbital nerve, which gives feeling to the upper lip. If the left nerve was bruised during surgery, the feeling in your lip should come back slowly.

2) If your lower eyelids are pulled down, that's more worrisome. You may need a revision in a few months. But remain optimistic in the short term, because the body tends to heal itself.

Too early to know if these changes are permanent or will resolve

+2

Dear Esra

Your recovery is definitely worrisome. It is not normal to have persistent smile or sensation changes following surgery. They can occur and they certainly can recover even as slowly as you are experiencing. However, it is possible to have long term nerve damage that never recovers or only partially recovers. Certainly if these changes don't resolve in the next few months, then it is unlikely that they will get better after this. You should discuss your concerns with your surgeon to hear what they have to say.

Regarding tightness, the period 4 to 8 weeks after surgery is generally the tightest time and then things begin to soften after this. Try artificial tears to make the eyes more comfortable during the day.

Please let the Realself.com community how you do.

Concerns after a midface lift and eyelid surgery

+1

After 4 weeks, you will still be swollen. However, I would recommend visiting your plastic surgeon to address your eyelid issues. These can be helped with massaging techniques. The sensation to your lip may take several months to return as the nerves may have to regenerate. Again, don't hesitate to call your plastic surgeon and see him/her for any further concerns. Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Concerns after Midface Lift

+1

It is possible to have changes in shape, sensation, and function for a short time after the mid-face and eyelid surgery. As long as it's "getting better", be patient but continue to share your concerns with your physician. The stitches in your mouth are absorbable but can be removed at this time if they bother you.