Midface Lift / Orbital Rim Implants

I had orbital rim implants plus deep plane midface lift with incisions through the mouth 2 weeks ago. The swelling is subsiding quickly however,my left lower eyelid seems slightly lower than the right one and when I look upwards there is a larger scleral show on that side. Could it be because I am still numb and paralysed from my upper lip to my lower lid(I cannot move my eyelid much)on the side in question or is it a permanent retraction? No skin was cut out...

Ectropion or eyelid retraction after Midface lift and Orbital Implants is a significant serious risk

+2

It is very important to see your doctor or seek a second opinion once you notice eyelid retraction after Midface Lift and Orbital Implants.

What you are describing could be an early indication of the risk of Ectropion-a pulling down of the lower eyelid following Midfacelift and Orbital Implants.

This can be a temporary phenomenon following these two procedures but it is VERY IMPORTANT that they not progress. Progression to Ectropion can create risk to the eye.

In this situation, in my opinion, eyelid stretching exercises, monitored by your doctor are important. In some cases, if dry eye and irritation occurs a temporarry Tarsorraphy, a suture to partially close the eyelid, is necessary.

Seek expert consultation now-dont let this problem drag on

2 weeks after Midface Lift + Orbital Rim Implants

+1

2 weeks is still relatively early in healing process after your surgery.  There are still irritated nerves and tight muscles, as well as substantial swelling.  Weak nerves resulting in asymmetry will recover with time.  Be patient and continue to follow up with your surgeon as directed.

Sam Naficy, MD

Concerned after face lift

+1

You may want follow up with your face lift surgeon with these questions and issues.  Numbness is typical but nothing, including your eyelid should be paralyzed.  Weak and swollen is typical but you should still be able to move the face and eyes.  The orbital rim implant may be inhibiting the lower eyelid function temporarily.

Early scleral show after surgery

+1

You have extensive surgery even though there are minimal scars.  It is not uncommon for the swelling to cause an early bit of scleral show.  Treat this according to your doctor's instructions but generally upward massage on the eyelid is beneficial.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Ectropion and exposure

+1

If you are experiencing alot of scleral show at this  time, I would speak with your surgeon to get a handle on how he wants you to treat it.

Facelift, midfacelift

+1

These procedures involve significant dissection.  The more dissestion and subsequent swelling you make things appear distorted.  This is even from side to side on the same person.  Allowing the selling to completely resolveover the next few weeks will give you the best ability to review the results.  Numbness is common after dissection of the midface in the distribution of the infraorbital nerve which what you are describing.  Continue to make frequent follow up appointments with your surgeon.

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

Midface Lift / Orbital Rim Implants

+1

Significant swelling of the cheek may be limiting cheek movement. If a midface lift was done, how was the elevated tissue secured to prevent downward movement of the cheeks post-op? Follow your surgeon's directions after he/she examines you.

Adherent eyelid following cheek lift and orbital rim implants

+1

It is still early and your scar may be adherent. Your surgeon may advise massage or steroid injections to help mobilize the tissue. Surgical intervention may be required but not at this point in the healing process.