Midface Lift Complications

I suffered an extraordinary number of complications after an endoscopic subperiosteal midface lift including widespread nerve injuries and plateau midface syndrome as well as numerous esthetic decrements. Of those, the surgeon sutured a lump of tissue above the natural tear trough on the right side creating the appearance of a sunken eye with a dark shadow and asymmetry. Can this be reversed and, if so, by whom? Surgeons I have seen see the problem but have no idea how to fix it.

Midface complications

+2

It is very difficult to answer your question without seeing your pictures – you should consider posting images showing your areas of concern

Midface lift complications

+2

I am sorry to hear about your problem.  Certainly, this is not the kind of situation that can easily be answered on this forum.  However, if you submitted photographs, this may be helpful in getting more useful suggestions as to what can be done for you.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Facelift - Midface Lift Complications

+2

I'm obviously very sorry for the problems you're having - it is impossible to make an assessment in a situation such as this without being able to examine the patient.   I would urge you to go for a few consultations to see what the choices might be.  I'd recommend a board-certified plastic surgeon; such as someone you might find at surgery dot org.

Again, I'm very sorry,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Mid-face lift complications

+2

Mid-face lifts, when performed well are the best procedure to keep the central face youthful and balanced. They are however technically very demanding and carry some significant risks when not done well. Nerve injury and unaesthetic results can certainly occur. Unfortunately because they work so well in the right patient and performed correctly, they became "sexy" as a marketing ploy. When problems develop they can often be corrected but the corrections are on an indivifdaul basis and "one shoe" does not fit all patients. Don't lose hope but do your homework before selecting your next surgeon.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Midfacelift Problems

+2

Sorry to hear about your experience.  You should try to obtain a copy of the operative reports.  This, along with any old photos, will help in your consultation to attempt to rectify the situation.   This is a complication situation that needs a customized solution.

Kimberly Lee, MD

This is a complex issue which needs an in person consultation and full evaluation

+2

This is a complex issue that needs an in-office consultation and a full evaluation.  You should get a copy of your old op reports for any new surgeon you go see.  If you are in the Beverly Hills area I would be happy to help.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Midface periosteal facelift is a dangerous operation.

+1

A skilled and experienced surgeon almost never has a major complication with a facelift.  We all have problems after any operation but most are easily managed, particularly cosmetic operations that are unnecessary to begin with.  Your situation needs a full evaluation by a competent plastic surgeon.  It is possible that, even though you are disappointed with the results, it might be best to live with the outcome.

Unhappy midface lift after sub periosteal technique

+1

Dear RK

Sorry about your experience. As you can see by the responses it is not a popular procedure among plastic surgeons. As noted, all find it hard to comment without photos. In general, you need to give your face many months of healing time. It is likely, that you can find an expert who can help you with your concerns. You may want to look for someone with decades of experience in hundreds of reconstructed faces in order to help you.

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Midface lift complications.

+1

See an experienced facelift surgeon who should be able to tell you what can be done to fix your problems. Without examining you or seeing photos it is impossible to say what you need.

Revision likely, probably require fat injection for contouring

+1

I, and other plastic surgeons, fail to see the rationale of a subperiosteal facelift.  It has never really caught on.  Sorry to hear about the complications.  The good news is that your nerve function should return.  Fat injection tends to work best for the cheeks and tear troughs, in my experience, and can correct contour problems.  It sounds like you will need redo surgery.  This will likely involve fat injection and possibly other revisions.  This is something that should only be undertaken by a surgeon with a very high level of skill and experience in both facelifting and fat injection.  It sounds like you already have done some researching.  Keep looking and learning.  Also, there is no set period of time to wait before having redo surgery. 

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon