Can You Have a Mid-face (Check) Lift After a Traditional Face Lift or Are There Conflicting Issues?

Mid face and and facelift

+2

The short answer is yes

However a good smas flap facelift should achieve a lot of mid face improvements 

especially when paired with a subcilliarly lower bleph that elevates the upper cheek and blends the lid- cheek junction

this is advanced stuff - stick to s board certified plastic surgeon who has experience and even 

extra training in the form of a cosmetic surgery fellowship 

I agree the others that fat grafting may play a role and I agree that subperiosteal mid facelifts can have a long recovery and sometimes do not achieve a lot

But again traditional facelifts when done well with a true Smas flap dissection have a powerful affect on the overlying malar fat pad 

that soft tissue needs to be elevated and then skin then is simply redraped (no pulling is needed) and the excess removed

fillers alone may add sume volume but in women in their 50,60,70 they a unlikely to solve the whole problem in a comprehensive fashion

I love fat grafting as a tool, it is powerful and I have been using it for years in both cosmetic and reconstructive surgery, but the trend towards minimalism in ones approach to cosmetic problems doesn't always produce the the natural but subtly profound changes many patients desire 

San Angelo Plastic Surgeon

Midface Lifting vs Fillers/Fat

+2

There is no technical reason why a surgical midface lift could not be performed after a traditional face lift procedure.  That being said the need for surgical midface lifting has dropped dramatically in recent years with the advent of injectable fillers and fat augmentation.  In many cases adding volume back into the midface (with either fillers or fat) will lift and fill the cheeks achieving a very natural rejuvenation to the midface while eliminating the need for a traditional surgical midface lift.

Patrick Flaharty, MD
Bonita Springs Oculoplastic Surgeon

Mid FaceLift After Facelift? Yes

+2

I agree completely with Dr. Rand's post.  The subperiosteal midface lift is a rather aggressive procedure with fairly limited results.  With the advent of volumizers like Sculptra, which gradually and effectively add volume to the cheeks, the place for the isolated midface lift has become very questionable.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mid-face (Check) Lift After a Traditional Face Lift

+1

You can do this. But IMO, the midface lift is not the best procedure and it is full of complications and risk. I would consider filling your face with fat in a judicious way.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mid face lift and facelifts are often complementary

+1

Mid face lift essentially focuses on the cheeks (mid face) and there are many techniques that address this problem. In contrast a facelift focuses on the jawline and upper neck. The incisions can be done through the lower lid, facelift incision and intraorally often combining techniques. It can preferably be done at the time of a facelift but also separately. Often times simple fat grafting can also achieve many similar goals while being less invasive.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Midfacelift or fat grafting

+1

Forget the midfacelift. Most of the more experienced doctors are performing fat grafting to this area to raise it and augment it which is a sgnificantly less invasive and faster recovery surgery. It can be done with a facelift or after and in fact it can be done in many patients under local

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Mid-Face Lift After Face Lift Surgery

+1

The "mid-face lift" has a few variations in definition. If you are speaking of a vertical lift of the cheeks through an incision in the temple, this option is viable after a traditional facelift. In my practice, i prefer to add volume to the mid face after a facelift (or during the facelift with submalar implants or fat). From my experience with facelift patients, mid face descent in the cheek area (as a facial aging process) is more the result of mid facial atrophy (loss of volume). I routinely perform volume enhancement in the mid face in addition to the repositioning of skin and soft tissue during a facelift. This combination makes my patients in general very happy (especially when they see their "before" photos). 

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Mid-face (cheek) lift after facelift

+1

If the facelift has been performed properly there is very little need for a cheek lift.  However, if the cheek area were still flat after a traditional face/neck lift, then consideration for cheek augmentation can be entertained.  Cheek implants can be inserted through an intraoral approach to augment and restore volume to the cheek area rather nicely.

Facelift vs midfacelift

+1

It appears from previous posts that even accomplished surgeons may disagree slightly on the nomenclature for facial rejuvenation. Regardless, the answer to your very astute question is most assuredly yes. In fact the quality of primary facelifts has improved such that secondary facelifts are fairly rare events. The secondary procedures that may become necessary usually are designed to take care of specific areas that return such as a loss of cheek volume or laxity at the jawline and return of marionette lines and nasollial folds. Many do a midfacelift as a secondary procedure to augment the cheek area and tighten the jawline. Fat grafting can be used effectively in the cheeks but cannot lift or tighten the jawline. Fat can also be  effective for the naslabial folds and corner of the mouth.

Paul S. Howard, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Mid face lift

+1

The answer is yes but is it your best choice.If you want to highlight your cheeks you could do soem fat injections which would be easier and have less downtime.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon