Recti Muscle Repair Required for Mid 30 Year Old Male?

I lost about 100 lbs about 10 years ago and have some moderate loose skin in the lower abdomen area. I was recently quoted 11k in the suburbs of Chicago for a full tummy tuck with recti repair and vasor lipo of the flanks. It this totally out of line? Is it the Recti muscle repair that is pushing the price up. Overall the surgeon is suggesting 4 hours of procedure time. If I lost additional weight could the amount of time i.e. price decrease?

Not all recti need repair in men

+1

A tummy tuck is generally muscle tightening and removal of excess skin. If skin only then its dermalipectomy or panniculectomy. Different pries but vary by geography.

Tummy tuck surgery in men

+1

Muscle plication is often performed during a tummy tuck surgery but not always a requirement in patients with strong rectus abdominis muscles, particularly in men. Surgery90210

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck Candidate?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Congratulations on your significant weight loss;  I think you are an  excellent candidate for the tummy tuck procedure. You will have the best results possible with muscle plication ( given your history of significant weight gain/loss). Be careful about trying to save money with elective plastic surgery...

Muscle repair and a tummy tuck.

+1

Muscle repair does not often increase the price of surgery significantly. Your surgeon can likely give you an itemized quote for the surgery such that you can see where the breakdown in cost lies. If the 11k includes the anesthesia and operating room facility costs, that seems about right.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Muscle tightening

+1

It may not be necessary for tightening of the muscles.  This part of the procedure does not increase the cost by much, if at all.  The price seems reasonable for a major city.  Here in the suburbs, the cost is somewhat less.  If you lost more weight, the procedure would still take roughly 4 hours, keeping the price in the same range.  Congratulations on your weight loss.

Dr. Orseck, Spartanburg, SC

Michael Orseck, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Diastasis Recti Repair In Males

+1

Muscle repair is not always necessary in male tummy tucks.  This is a part of most tummy tucks and charge neither more for including it nor less for omitting it.  The muscle repair does add some discomfort, but again in my hands does not add to the cost.  It appears from your photo that your are a good candidate for a full tummy tuck (with or without a muscle repair).  The cost is also not influenced by the patient's body weight at the time of the procedure.  The cost will be greater in Chicagoland or either coast than here in Louisville.  My charge would be 40-50% less than you were quoted.

John Whitt, MD

When do you need to tighten the muscle with a tummy tuck

+1

Thanks for your question -

In our San Francisco area practice, tightening the abdominal wall is standard part of a tummy tuck. 

It usually makes a signficant difference in the overall shape of the waist line.  In males however, the shape goal is different.  Women are typically looking for an hourglass where as men are looking for more of a V shape. 

The importance of this is that males typically require plication less frequently (the chances of you needing that go up with the more weight you've lost).

The bottom line is it is something that must be assessed as part of your physical exam.

I hope this helps!

Steven H. Williams, MD

Muscle tightening

+1

Unless you have had a weight loss of over 100lbs, where your intra-abdominal fat has been so much as to physically loosen your muscles ( as happens with a pregnancy), it is unlikely that you will need muscle plication. You can probably do sit ups to define your muscles and harden after the removal of the extra skin you have.

Morad Tavallali, MD
Vienna Plastic Surgeon

Male tummy tuck

+1

Your moderate excess of skin would be more than average for the males I have operated on, but less than most massive weight loss patients. Muscle tightening usually helps the appearance, but if you want to avoid the added cost, pain and risk of the muscle plication, a skin only tummy tuck will tighten up the skin. If you suck in your stomach all the time, then you probably need muscle plication. As far as losing additional weight, being close to your ideal weight may reduce the risk and your liposuction needs would likely be reduced or possibly even eliminated.  Cost wise, $11k seems to be about right for Chicago. You would pay about 20% less in the Southeast for a full tummy tuck with muscle plication and standard liposuction of the flanks.Good luck!

Victor Au, MD
Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon