Is Microdermabrastion Safe for Black Skin?

on the face and arms?

Is Microdermabrasion Safe for Black Skin?

+2

Microdermabrasion can be used at a superficial level to help with skin quality, whereas other modalities that may penetrate more deeply can create some issues with pigmentation in darker skin types.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Microdermabrasion is safe for brown skin

+2

Yes, microdermabrasion is one of the safest procedures for all patients because it is very superficial. You don't have to worry about injury to pigment cells . In our office, patients will have microdermabrasion sessions, alternating with chemical peel sessions, to have the smoothest, most uniform complexions.

Beverly Johnson, MD
Washington DC Dermatologist

Microdermabrasion for black skin

+2

Microdermabrasion is a non-surgical exfoliating treatment for dull or rough skin, age spots, fine lines, wrinkles, sun damage, acne and acne scarring. It accelerates the cellular turnover process and stimulates your skin to produce new collagen. Microdermabrasion allows for the gradual resurfacing of skin without the risks, side effects and down-time of other, more aggressive alternatives. It is perfectly safe for black skin.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Microdermabrasion and Melarase Cream

+1

Microdermabrasion is safe for black skin in most cases. In my practice, I ask my patients to combine the Microdermabrasion with Melarase cream to improve skin tone and minimize discoloration of the skin. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS