Is Microdermabrasion or a Vitalize Peel Safe for Sensitive (Eczema-prone) Dark AA Skin?

I am African American. I have dark skin and my skin is also sensitive (I use fragrance free products and sometimes my skin is prone to eczema). I wanted some help with fine lines, and I was told that a combination of microdermabrasion and a Vitalize peel would help. Is this combination safe for my skin? What are the possible side effects? And, if there are side effects, how long would it take for them to subside?

Microderm and peels

+1

Microdermabrasion is a topical exfoliating procedure. Often it is combined with a chemical peel because it helps clear away debris and dead cells from the skin, allowing peels to penetrate better, deeper, and more effectively. Microdermabrasion machines can be turned up or down as far as the settings to make the procedure more comfortable for those with sensitive skin. I can see no reason why you couldn't have a microdermabrasion treatment. However, with Vitalize peels, I have seen them but do not use them in my practice. They are technically a lighter chemical peel that is supposed to have no downtime. I would recommend that you see an office that is extremely experienced with these specific peels. There may be some possible concerns for doing them on AA skin, but I don't know. Possibilities could include post-inflammatory hyper or hypo pigmentation, at worst. But again, I don't do these peels, and while they are supposed to be light peels, there are some possible concerns and you should go over all of those with the office you are considering.