How Many Microdermabrasion Treatments to Reverse Sun Damage?

I am a 25 year old woman with a Fitzpatrick II complexion. I have no deep wrinkles, acne scars, or pigmentation I am trying to get rid of. I am merely considering this procedure to treat my sun damaged face. How many microdermabrasions would be necessary for a patient like me?

Microdermabrasion to reverse sun damage

+1

Microdermabrasion is a great way to exfoliate the skin with little to no down time. It can also remove the dead skin that can prevent your skin care products from penetrating or working properly. However, sun damage can penetrate deep into the lower layers of your skin and microdermabrasion may not be enough to correct the damage that has been done.

It's good to start skin treatments early and do what it takes to protect your skin moving forward, but it's hard to know exactly what treatment is best and how many treatments you will need without seeing your skin in person. My recommendation is that you set up a consultation with a medical skin-care professional to have a skin analysis to determine the amount of damage done to your skin and the best treatment course for you. Good luck!

Aurora Plastic Surgeon

Treatments for sun damage

+1

In my opinion, microdermabrasion is best for exfoliating the face, removing the layer of dead skin present in all of us, and opening up your skin to better respond to skin care products. IPL treatments are better to reverse the sun effects of spots and broken capillaries.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Solar elastosis, actinic damage and microdermabrasion

+1

There is no simple formula for management of actinic damage. The solar radiation induced damage has mutilple effects that penetrate through multiple layers of the skin including the papillary dermis (solar elastosis) which is not typically treated during a conventional microdermabrasion procedure.