Microdermabrasion or Chemical Peel a Week Before Active FX or Deep FX?

Is it safe to have microdermabrasion or chemical peel done a week before going through Active FX or Deep FX? I read something that said this would be beneficial prior to treatment and I did not do it (I'll have the treatment in 3 days).

Pretreatment for Active FX

+2

It is unnecessary to have microdermabrasion or a peel before active fx, unless you doctor is doing  a very superficial Active FX and feels you otherwise won't see much change. What you don't want is to have  peel and not tell your doctor so he can adjust the settings accordingly- otherwise you may end up with prolonged healing .

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Microdermabrasion or Chemical Peel before Active FX or Deep FX

+1

I think that anything that you can do to improve your skin condition before and ActiveFX or any other type of laser to the skin will improve the final outcome of the procedure. Be always sure to notify your physician about what "on the side" skin programs you are doing.

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chemical peel before laser procedure

+1

There is nothing wrong with having a microdermabrasion or chemical peel done before the Active FX or Deep FX laser procedure. However, since the Active FX and Deep FX laser procedures, in essence, are a type of peel, there is nothing to be gained by doing the microdermabrasion or chemical peel prior to the laser procedure.

David Goldberg, MD

Stay away from significant procedures 2-4 weeks before Active or Deep FX

+1

There are different degrees that you can carry out microdermabrasion and chemical peels prior to Active FX or CO2 laser resurfacing. Depending on the depth, this could effect your laser treatment. If done deeper, the CO2 laser will then be more aggressive than the doctor had anticipated and could lead to complications such as scarring and pigmentation problems. I would not do any significant procedure such as the microderm and chemical peel for 2-4 weeks before the procedure to be safe.

Consulting a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon would be something that I would recommend. We specialize in the face and are highly qualified to help you with this.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon