Hyperpigmentation from Microdermabrasion and Glycolic Peel?

I spent a couple of hours sitting in the sun in the garden a few weeks after my last Microdermabrasion and Glycolic Peel. When I came in, I had a large mottled brown patch of skin on both cheeks. I returned to the clinic where I had the treatment, and I was told it was hyperpigmentation caused by the sun. I've googled microdermabrasion and realized that this can be a side effect. Did the treatments cause the hyperpigmentation? The clinic have sold me a further 6 microdermabrasion and glycolic peel sessions to restore my skin colour. So far I've had 3 with little effect.

Sunscreen would have prevented this

+1

If you have a tendency to hyperpigment this could happen with any sun exposure. You must use sunscreen, hat with a visor and sunglasses. Retin-A can help as well as bleaching products such as hydroquinone. I do not think more microdermabrasions and peels will help much now.

West Orange Oculoplastic Surgeon