Is Microdermabrasion Appropriate for Older Skin with Mild Acne?

My dermatologist recommends I get microdermabrasion to help improve my acne prone skin. I am 60 years old. He says I should stop using retin-a several days prior to treatment and that he will use a very mild setting. Should I trust him?

Microdermabrasion for acne isn't effective

+1

Traditional microdermabrasion isn't an effective treatment for active acne. The only way it is is with a treatment like a Silkpeel, in which a microdermabrasion is done while the machine infuses solutions like salicylic acid to help with acne. General microdermabrasion is just a light exfoliation - it doesn't help with acne.

Microdermabrasion for acne

+1

I believe that microdermabrasion will cause only a slight improvement in acne, at best. Even that may be due to better penetration of topical medication after your treatment. 60 years is not too old for treatment. Microdermabrasion works best as an exfoliating treatment for dull or rough skin, age spots, fine lines, wrinkles, and sun damaged,skin. Microdermabrasion accelerates the cellular turnover process and mildly stimulates your skin to produce new collagen.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon