Microdermabrasion for Extreme Adult Acne?

Hi, I'm 23 years old and still suffer from extreme acne and scaring. I've been considering microdermabrasion, but haven't looked into anything to far yet. Any suggestions?

Microdermabrasion is not for inlammatory or scarring acne

+3

Microdermabrasion isn't going to be effective for lasting results as a treatment for inflammatory acne or scarring from acne. There are a number of treatments that are effective for each, but microdermabrasion would offer minimal, if any, benefit.

Springfield Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne and microdermabrasion

+2

The type of acne that you describe sounds like inflammatory acne that is best treated with prescription medications. Microdermabrasion would not help this type of acne, and could actually irritate your skin more and lead to worsening of your acne. Microdermabrasion is better for clogged pores and sun damaged skin. It can help treat acne scarring, but you need to get your acne under control before you begin these treatments. I recommend that you see a dermatologist to start treating your acne and minimize any future scars, and then you can begin to treat your existing scarring.

Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon