Microdermabrasion for Adult Acne on Oily Skin?

I have had light-moderate acne my whole life, and now I have little red scars on my face. I am considering Microdermabrasion to get rid of the scars, but will it irritate my oily skin? I have heard too that it can clear acne. What's true and what's not?

Microdermabrasion as acne treatment

+1

Microdermabrasion can be helpful in treating the type of acne that consists of clogged pores, blackheads and whiteheads, and skin-colored bumps. By removing the top layers of skin and unclogging the pores with the vacuum-action of the wand, acne is improved. However, if you have red bumps or deeper cysts, you may experience some irritation or flaring of your acne.

The redness that you describe sounds like leftover inflammation after the acne bumps have cleared. This does not typically go away with microdermabrasion. It usually clears on its own with time and sun avoidance, but a retinoid cream and/or pulsed dye laser treatment can help. Using a retinoid cream may also help treat your acne prevenet new breakouts.

Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne scars treatment

+1

Microdermabrasion can minimally improve depressed acne scars, but will not help redness , per se. For the redness, the best approach is KTP, or Dye Laser treatment. It takes 1-3 sessions to see results; & the surface irregularities may be improved as a by-effect.

Detroit Dermatologic Surgeon

Microdermabrasion for acne

+1

I typically perform microdermabrasion for acne with a machine called SilkPeel. It uses crystal-free, diamond-tipped heads and is excellent for microdermabrasion. The benefit of SilkPeel is that it is microdermabrasion PLUS dermal infusion. The medicine I use on the dermal infusion part is Salicylic acid, which is perfect for acne. Read more about it on my site.