Is Microdermabrasion Beneficial for Sun Damage on Face?

I recently visited a plastic surgeon to discuss the removal of a nonpigmented nevi on my face. With my family history of actinic keratoses, BCC, and fair complexion, the doctor recommended I undergo dermabrasion on my face to treat current sun damage. I am in my early 20s and do not have any deep wrinkles or scarring on my face. I do practice "safe sunning" now, but I cannot truthfully say that I always have. Would dermabrasion, or a different type of procedure be a practical or beneficial option at this time?

Microdermabrasion for the treatment of sundamage

+1

Microdermabrasion will improve the appearance of sun damage by exfoliating the top layer of the epidermis. It is not the most effective or efficient method however. Depending on the severity of your sun damage you have options ranging from aggressive skin care products (Obagi NuDerm) to fully ablative laser resurfacing(Erbium laser Peels).

For your average run of the mill sun damage with minimal wrinkling, we recommended a combination of a TCA peel followed by good quality skin care. This will give you the biggest bang for your buck as well as restoring the healthy glow of the skin. As far as the colorless nevi that you mentioned, as long as they have been determined not to be suspicious in nature they can be easily removed by shave excisions. This is a procedure that shaves the mole to the surface of the skin. It takes about 7 days to heal and typically does not leave a scar.

Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon